2505 Netbeui

Thread: 2505 Netbeui

Question 2505 Netbeui

I have installed build 2505 on a machine, and added it to my network to play about with; part of the network connects over netbeui, but I cant get any machine to see the XP one, even though the XP one can see every other machine (even the samba servers).

Any idea's ???

Saber

Are you sharing anything on the drives? Stupid Question huh?
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

Talking

Yeah - sharing the whole C drive and the CD-Rom.

I'm not impressed with XP, and will reinstall the machine with Mandrake in a couple of weeks - until then, I'd like to get to grips with the details of XP.

Saber

Netbeui isn't installed by default on XP. It is on the CD, somewhere, I think, but you can't install it easily from the network properties. Can you connect through ping even?
    a LARTing we will go
    a LARTing we will go
    hi-ho the derrio
    a LARTing we will go

On ocassion Win2K ( which XP is based on) has the same problem. make sure your workgroup name is the same as the other comps and since XP IS identical to Win2K access to shared drives will be unaccessible unless a local user account is created on the Win2K/Xp machine for those trying to access shares from other machines.

And not to flame but frankly I am tired of hearing MS sucks I'm going to Linux argument. I have used Linux and would still be using it if it properly recognized my RAID controller and my current RAID 0 setup at install. I wouldn't give up my Win2K/XP systems because of it. More than Likely I'd have all three, but since I'm an avid gamer a complete transfer to Linux is unfeasible at the present.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Talking

Thanks for the replaies - I was not too impressed with XP - couldnt really find anything that win2k couldnt offer. I doubt I will go for the retail release when it comes. As for linux, I have 2 machines running Mandrake and Suse, but also have a number of windows machines. I too like games !!!

Cheers,

Saber