XP Shutdown problem now resolved! Check this out!

Thread: XP Shutdown problem now resolved! Check this out!

Smile XP Shutdown problem now resolved! Check this out!

Hi there!

Just got the solution for the problem in XP. The computer cannot powerdown...here's the solution.

By the way, thanks to Darren Wilson and other people.

SOLUTION
    ========

1. If under Device Manager, under the computer tab it is written "Standard PC", then, go into the Power Alimentation Configuration in the Control Panel. Go into the APM box and verify if the check box is checked. If not check it.

2. If the first thing don't work, you'll have to use another solution that worked for me! First, verify that your BIOS support ACPI and make the appropriate update for that thing. Be careful! Flashing your BIOS can be very dangerous... Ask someone if you're not sure of how to do it. After you're sure about the configuration required, you'll have to reinstall Windows XP. When the blue setup screen appear in DOS press the key F5 a lot of time so that a hidden menu appear. Now, use the arrow keys to choose the ACPI in the menu. Be sure that mode is chosen. After, reinstall everything and follow the instructions displayed on the screen. That should work quite well!!!

3. If everything work......well you'll have to wait for the SP1 that will come out in January pr February 2002 said Microsoft.

Hope it helped...

Charles
    My Computer:

PII 350 mhz (still good!)
    Soyo SY-6IWM Intel i810 chipset (Disabled)
    256 mo RAM PC-133
    HSP56 MicroModem (XP drivers)
    Sound Blaster 16 (XP drivers)
    Radeon 32 mo SDR (6.13.3276 XP)
    Windows XP Pro FR (Build 2600)
    Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse
    Logitech SoundMan Speakers
    CD-ROM 40X
    LG 16X10X40 CD Writer
    Epson Stylus C60

A trick I've found to be helpful:

Go into the BIOS, set PNP OS to YES, and Power Management to ENABLED. Then boot up into XP, find your way to device manager, click on "view" and click on "show hidden devices". Now a red-marked (disabled) device should appear, called APM something or other (I can't remember the exact name). Enable it, and see if your shut-down problems have been averted.

Not saying it'll work for everyone, but it has worked for me on about 4 computers so far.

/|rokh
    "I can depend on my brain when I need it, but not necessarily when I want it to work."

Banned

also check in msconfig/services ,,,,,,,,,if u have a gforce vid card ,,,,and disable NVIDIA helper services.