ACPI and IRQ 11

Thread: ACPI and IRQ 11

Question ACPI and IRQ 11

I know, I know... I should have migrated a LOT sooner, but I wasn't having any major problems with ME at the time...

Anyway, I finally did the deed, and upgraded to Win2K. So I'm way behind the pack on the learning curve, I've used it plenty but never at home, on my machine. Of course, my machine isn't your run-of-the-mill home PC:

I have a dual channel on-board AIC7899G U160 controller, an only one of the channels used, but obviously, Win2K likes to set up every device it can find with ACPI. Both channels occupy the same IRQ. As does the GeForce 2 Ti graphics card, the SB Live 5.1 sound card and the Realtek (el cheapo special)network card. Now... Every so often I get random and unexplained system locks, with no obvious signs nor explanation. I lose all input, cannot kill the task or process with task manager... That's not too bad, just hit the reboot button and we're back in twenty seconds.

My question - is having four highly used devices on one IRQ necessarily a bad thing? There are no resource range conflicts, just the heavily loaded IRQ...

Further system details are almost certainly in my signature.
    FAIR USE IS A RIGHT, NOT A PRIVILEDGE.

Athlon 1700XP, MSI K7 Master S, 512MB Crucial 2100, 2 × 18.2GB Maxtor Atlas 10K III, Bog-standard Geforce 2 Ti 64MB DDR, nice big Iiyama VMPro 452 and a SBLive! somewhere in there too, with the mother of all custom paintjobs on my spanking new Aopen H600A. And you wouldn't believe how stable 98SE/ME is on it!! 2K/XP however, now that's a different
    story... Damned ACPI!!

Have you tried installing with acpi disabled? On one machine I found it was the bios was the culprit - certain slots were the culprit as it shared every slot with one other and an onboard peripheral - there was nothing I could do. On another machine reinstalling, pressing f5 and installing as a standard hal cured the problem
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Here's a good MSKB article that explains it:Q252420

Basicly IRQ 11 (or 9 on some mobos) is acting as a redirector to other higher IRQs
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Lightbulb

One IRQ (usually 11, but sometimes 9, 5, or something else) is used for "PCI Steering"...in effect, a method that is used to allow many more hardware devices than a 16-IRQ system would allow. If working correctly, hardware conflicts don't occur and everything runs peachy. However, when there's a problem, things can get sticky. I've found that if a hardware device is troublesome, I move it to the first PCI slot and reinstall the hardware settings to get it to have a higher priority in the hardware mapping scheme...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Had similar problems about a month ago found that I had a bad sound card. here

also found this and ask my fellow WD friends what they though.