CHKDSK problem

Thread: CHKDSK problem

CHKDSK problem

Sup guys, I have a computer running XP Home Edition and everytime I reboot it asks me to run CHKDSK then halfway through scanning it locks up. So I reboot skip CHKDSK and boot into Windows. From the command line I try to run CHKDSK /F and it says that it cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Yet I have no other programs or task running. I know there is something corrupt but this damn thing won't let me run CHKDSK within Windows or from a restart. What can I do to get this going? Can anybody recommend any disk utilities for NTFS or Windows XP? Thanks in advance for your help.

I haven't installed SP1 yet so I can't attribute it to that.

Re: CHKDSK problem

Originally posted by mattrouthier
    Sup guys, I have a computer running XP Home Edition and everytime I reboot it asks me to run CHKDSK then halfway through scanning it locks up. So I reboot skip CHKDSK and boot into Windows. From the command line I try to run CHKDSK /F and it says that it cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.

Windows is the other process that is using the drive. To run chkdsk from the command prompt from the gui, you can't have ANYTHING accessing the hard drive (pop the drive into onther system and try that way)

Yet I have no other programs or task running. I know there is something corrupt but this damn thing won't let me run CHKDSK within Windows or from a restart. What can I do to get this going? Can anybody recommend any disk utilities for NTFS or Windows XP? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Have you run the hard disk diagnostics tool from you hard disk manufacturer?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    As stated you can't run chkdsk from within windows. You might try running your antivirus. Also, delete any temp files you might have. That may help.

if you go to start/run and type in chkdsk C:/f you should get a message telling you that the drive is locked and it will run when the machine is restarted..is this happening? you can also run it off of the xp disk in the repair console
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."