really annoying customer.. help please
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: really annoying customer.. help please

really annoying customer.. help please

There is a customer at the shop I work for who is a real pain in the ***. Two days after he received his computer he called in to say that he was getting the blue screen 'o' death at boot up. I asked what he installed and he did not know. He just said that he installed a few applications off the web. Keep in mind this guy is a computer novice... never used a pc before in his life. So, I told him to re-install his OS (windows 2000 pro), he didnt know how to so I told him to bring the pc in and I did it for him. I tested the system and it worked fine after the re-install of w2k pro. The customer comes to pick it up and several hours later... blue screen 'o' death again. So this time I told him to bring the computer in and I swapped out the HDD for a new one and installed W2k pro for him. The PC was benched and tested for four days before returning the system to him. During this time it was powered up, restarted and shut down dozens of times. The computer worked fine. The customer came to pick the computer up today and no more then a few hours later he called.... yup... blue screen -o- death. I asked him what the hell he is doing and he said nothing. Just that he installed something from a web site, but he wasn't sure what. I'm thinking it may have been a marcomedia file, like flash.

So.. what am I supposed to do in a case like this? There is nothing wrong with the HDD it's new (the 2nd one no less!) and was tested for four days prior to the customer picking it up. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Just to find out what he is installing, go into the event log and look for msinstall logs, error logs, etc..you can get into it from safe mode..As far as the customer, when we warranty a machine, we warrant the hardware to be free of defects and the operating system to be working when the machine leaves the shop..additions to the operating system which are user installed are never covered..I would see if I can find just what he is installing, then have him come in to pick up the machine and test it in house..and sign a statement that user installed software will not be covered. I know it may be impossible to do with this customer without causing a scene.. You can run a hard drive utility and print out the report before themachine leaves to prove the hardware is working and run it again when it comes back to rule out hardware..have him keep a written record of everything he installs..I think his ignorance is hiding something good luck
    Last edited by geoscomp; September 23rd, 2002 at 10:12 PM.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Seems to me that he is downloading some shareware crap that is botching his system and he doesnt want to tell you because he doesnt think its the problem, you know its ALWAYS the computer

Just show him the print out of a results page from sisoft sandra or something similar and let him know that it has been tested and works, anything after that tell him yer charging
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Thanks guys,

I think i'm just going to hit him over the head with a cooler-master case instead.

hey..if you really want to hurt him, I've got an old dot matrix printer here that must weigh 60 pounds..I'll send it to you if you want it
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

you could get him to purchase ghost or similiar then make an image..
    Tell him if he breaks it again just throw that in the drive and reboot..

then again.. I like the idea of hitting him over the head...
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

Well I second what geoscomp is saying about checking the event logs.

Also I would do a find on all files modified between the time you gave him back the PC and the time he calls up complaining about the BSOD. Then of course do a screen capture of that to CYA. And check his history for wherever he's getting this crapware from.

Then maybe when you figure out what he's installing, figure out why it's blue screening and fix it.

then hit over the head with a cooler-master case
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

I am willing to bet its Gator and Comet Cursor...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    And bonzai buddy and aol and and and micrsoft products and....uhm system works etc
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

You might Want to tell him to hold off on downloading any programs on the web for serval days to see if It is that or something else. And when he does download and install a program have him write down what he installed so if it does happen again you can see what he installed.

Also this is a shot at the dark but He may have a power problem onsite also which may be causing corrupted files.

I was thinking along the same lines, power problems... but I've never seen such a thing happen before. Where a power surge problem corrupts the OS within a few hours time. I was thinking it is something that he installs over the net. Like I said, this dude is a novice and as far as I know gives every web site the authority to install anything on his system. The first time we got the computer back he had some 'live sex' application running in the background and he claims he never downloaded it.

This guy is a thorn in my side. I'm just going to tell him today that we can do nothing more to help him and that he is on his own.

Note for the future...
    Spend lots of time finding the real problem before formatting.
    Normally its a quick fix.
    Search out the problematic software and remove it and if it is a program that the customer definatly wants then install it for him and test it out..

If the problem re occurs tell him he cant use the prog and find him an alternative.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

If it were as simple as telling him 'so and so is not compatible with W2K pro' it would be easy, but this guy doesn't know what he's installing. He couldn't even install an OS if his life depended on it. He actually thought he re-installed the OS by putting the CD in the tray and waiting 10 minutes! Seriously, he's a schmuck.The dude had adware and sex site spyware in his sys folder for crying out loud. I may just have to take him out back and shoot him.

Also, keep in mind that we are not making any money off this fruitcake.
    Last edited by sardo_numspa; September 24th, 2002 at 10:50 AM.

Originally posted by sardo_numspa
    If it were as simple as telling him 'so and so is not compatible with W2K pro' it would be easy, but this guy doesn't know what he's installing. He couldn't even install an OS if his life depended on it. He actually thought he re-installed the OS by putting the CD in the tray and waiting 10 minutes! Seriously, he's a schmuck.The dude had adware and sex site spyware in his sys folder for crying out loud. I may just have to take him out back and shoot him.

Also, keep in mind that we are not making any money off this fruitcake.
    See my post here..

http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...310#post318310

One problem, one thread please.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Also, keep in mind that we are not making any money off this fruitcake. [/B]
    No offense but your nuts!!!
    Your waranty should not cover software installations.
    Only Hardware.

Never do anythign for free at a retail store.
    Just my experience and 2 cents.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.