Ghosting? XP ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ghosting? XP ?

I had a HDD 20Gb WD and I got a 80Gb. I download WD V.10 Ultra ATA Manager I was adle to copy all from the 20GB to the 80GB...I do not write good but I can call you if you email your number. Your you email WD for help

[email protected]

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#dlgtools

Maybe I missed it, But I've done this Sucessfully, but the Ghost Instructions say NOT TO BOOT UP WITH BOTH DRIVES in the system after the ghost. I'd disconnec the old drive, boot off the new drive, verify your info's intact. Then discconect the new drive and reconnect the old drive, BUT boot up with a floppy and fdisk the drive, even if the Partitions are in NFTS Fdisk will still alow you to delete non-dos partions. Good luck

Yes, I had Sucessfully with copy using Ultra ATA Manager v.10.

Originally posted by rusabus
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "correctly support NTFS." Ghost 2002 and 2001 can both clone an NTFS partition without a problem, but what they can't do is save an image file onto or read an image file from an NTFS drive. Do you mean to say that ghost 2003 can save an image file onto an NTFS drive? If so, that would be great for me in my operations.
    That is my understanding. This was discussed on TSS about a week ago.

I would verify it to be sure.

TL

Talking Ghosting XP

I have had no issues with ghost 2002 or 2003 or CE 7.5 only thing is if there is to many hardware changes you have to reactivate windows and office. When I ghost I boot off a floppy disk with dos network drivers write images of partitions on server and image them to new workstation.

Cool The Zen of Ghost

My first experience with Ghost was on a contract at a hospital and they had predesigned images for Windows NT. back then, thanks to Nt 4.0's lack of plug and play, the HAL had to be the same for every system meaning identical hardware that the image was designed for.
    Now thanks to 2000 and the afor mentioned SYSPREP,it doesnt matter what system u reimage. I have made XP images and then when they are setup, use sysprep which removes all machine dependent drivers so that after u reimage, Windows plug and play finds the drivers (if it has them) then all is well.
    We used to create Ghost images with Windows 98 that worked on multiple systems thanks to a few tricks we learned from the CompUSA home office in Dallas. If u wanna know some of them feel free to email me.

[email protected]
    "What happened to coffee flavored coffee?"

Re: The Zen of Ghost

Originally posted by Triumph
    My first experience with Ghost was on a contract at a hospital and they had predesigned images for Windows NT. back then, thanks to Nt 4.0's lack of plug and play, the HAL had to be the same for every system meaning identical hardware that the image was designed for.
    Now thanks to 2000 and the afor mentioned SYSPREP,it doesnt matter what system u reimage. I have made XP images and then when they are setup, use sysprep which removes all machine dependent drivers so that after u reimage, Windows plug and play finds the drivers (if it has them) then all is well.
    We used to create Ghost images with Windows 98 that worked on multiple systems thanks to a few tricks we learned from the CompUSA home office in Dallas. If u wanna know some of them feel free to email me.

[email protected]
    Well, that's _kind_ of correct

The HAL still has to be the same, i.e. ACPI or Standard PC.

However, hardware CAN be different.

TL

use w98 boot disk to boot
    at the prompt type:
    fdisk /mbr

reboot

Lightbulb

2 weeks ago I've replaced an older drive with a new 80GB drive. Had dual boot XP/2000 and 3 NTFS partitions (Basic Disk). Partition Magic did the job with no problems. I took the old drive and put it into my wife's PC (2000/NTFS/Dynamic disk). Partition magic wouldn't work with dynamic disks. Latest Ghost did it though and I got a basic disk.
    BTW: does your BIOS have support for 80Gig HDD's?
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

after all the posts i think we would all know now you need ghost 7.5 to do a win xp drive transfer which is what we use at work.

also to get back to the original posters problem the second thing you had was you could not install xp fresh from the cd this is more than likely caused from your gforce2 mx card.

what you have to do is install the os with a diff video card load the os completely then change back to your gforce2 mx card or xp will usually hang on the initial blue screen at install (generally on via chipsets more than others) believe me ive seen it.

Originally posted by kegger
    after all the posts i think we would all know now you need ghost 7.5 to do a win xp drive transfer which is what we use at work.

also to get back to the original posters problem the second thing you had was you could not install xp fresh from the cd this is more than likely caused from your gforce2 mx card.

what you have to do is install the os with a diff video card load the os completely then change back to your gforce2 mx card or xp will usually hang on the initial blue screen at install (generally on via chipsets more than others) believe me ive seen it.
    Welp,,, Im All Fixed Up,,
    Wasnt The Video Card,, But Just a bad memory chip preventing the install from cd.
    As Far as ghost/ghosting.. I Gave Up~!
    I'll Just Move The Old Stuff Off The OLD Drive Someday {maybe}
    I DID find a software to backup my drive and it creates bootable restore cds.
    NTI Drive Backup.
    Hopefully,, If I EVER run into a crash again,, I'll be able to just pop in the restore CD, INSTEAD of spending hrs and hrs reloading ALL my settings, and programs.
    NTI drive backup compressed 3.4 gigs of data to 2.5 cds, And Its XP Friendly Now,, So Hopefully As i add more data,, i'll be able to occasionally make new sets of cds to cover myself.
    Thanks Guys For ALL Your Input..
    Trout

Did you remove the old drive and boot just off the new drive? I have ghosted XP (FAT32) from a 30 to an 80 without any problem as long as I removed the old drive after running ghost disk to disk.

Originally posted by bugbuster
    Did you remove the old drive and boot just off the new drive? I have ghosted XP (FAT32) from a 30 to an 80 without any problem as long as I removed the old drive after running ghost disk to disk.
    Yeppers I Did remove the old drive,, I Just had no luck with it,, But,, All Is Well Now.

Talking Ghosting XP/XP SR1

I've only got ghost v6.5, and I've managed to ghost both releases of Xp for my Home machine without any hitches, I only have a 20gb HDD, and initially use FAT32, after ghosting I then Convert it to NTFS.
    L15ard
    You Can Logout, But Never leave.....
    Drunkentechie.net

xp ghost

to the above post.

I've only got ghost v6.5, and I've managed to ghost both releases of Xp for my Home machine without any hitches, I only have a 20gb HDD, and initially use FAT32, after ghosting I then Convert it to NTFS.

yes this is true what you can't do is ghost the new xp ntfs
    without the newer 7.5 ghost.