Dropped Pass in W2K Dial up mgr

Thread: Dropped Pass in W2K Dial up mgr

Dropped Pass in W2K Dial up mgr

This sounds may sound nuts (it is driving me there)....

(( KNOWN 1 ))
    W2K Pro.
    Dial up Mgr... Loosing password.

(( actions performed ))
    reset pass through Internet Options
    recreated dialer

------ password is still being dropped --------

Same system
    (( known 2 ))
    W2K Pro
    Dial up Mgr --- connecting with out prompting and tries to activate when
    regular phone on same line is taken off hook.
    -- no external app running
    -- single macine (network disconnected)
    -- set to never dial connetion in int options

Suggestions / ideas ...... anyone??
    DNRC- let the new world begin.

I could have swore that I responded to this before.

Is someone else logging on to the system or just you and do they use a different username? If different any changes you make will not carry to their account. Just a shot in the dark.

For the second issue. Run a firewall (www.zonelabs.com) and see what is trying to connect. It may be the windows update feature. If it pops up - disable it and see if it continues. You may also have a virus or a trojan. Run a virus scanner (www.grisoft.com).

Post double??

I have been using this handle / call name since '99??? The only thing I have added was the avaiter.

As for replying to this / similar message ...??? I did not find a similar post..

Running a firewall on the gateway computer sounds a bit strange. ESP. when no other application is running..... Wouldn't adding additional software to the mix just add a new variable??? (and yes the machine was checked for viruses-- none found).

Oh and yes it has SP3

Why would the computer's internal modem PICK UP when another extension with reg line is PICKED UP???

The modem is not a "smart modem" ....
    It is set to dial out only --- (not receive incoming calls)

Ideas???

( (all ideas welcomed.. as some of the strangest ideas are the ones that MAY solve the problem!!!!! ))

I meant that I thought I responded to your post before quite some time ago. I supposed that I did not.

As for the rest - yes the modem can try to connect even if there is no dial tone. It just won't connect. Trying to pop up and dial is a different thing than actually connecting.

Your answer is that something on your machine (an application of some sort) is trying to access the internet and the machine is attempting to dial out. Just because there is no program running at the time does not meanthat there is no program (or programs) running in the background. Even if you look in task manager, you may not see all active applications (esp if they are not friendly).

One thing I might suggest is to go into IE properties, click connections tab and then put a dot next to "never dial a connection". This may stop proggies from trying to access the net.

Adding a firewall will tell you what is trying to get to the internet and where it is trying to go to as well. Your question is then answered.

You did not mention a gateway before. Are you using a proxy or internet connection sharing on one of the PC's??? If not, what is acting as a gateway? Unless you actually mean a Gateway brand computer, then why wouldn't you run a firewall? There is absolutly nothing that makes a Gateway brand computer any safer than the next PC against attack from the outside or from trojans and the like.

Virus scanners - they do not always pick up everything and new viruses get right through as there is nothing in the definitions to say that it is a virus. Also, there are many a trojan and virus that none of the antivirus community ever include in their defintion updates. They don't hear about a good deal of them, just the ones that are successfull. Heck, on my file sharing machine I have run many a proggie that Norton, AVG and 2 different trojan scanners (yes all running at 1 time) all failed to pick up. The only thing that kept me from becoming compromised was my firewall that stopped the proggie from accessing the net.

data

Originally posted by ilovetheusers
    I meant that I thought I responded to your post before quite some time ago. I supposed that I did not.

As for the rest - yes the modem can try to connect even if there is no dial tone. It just won't connect. Trying to pop up and dial is a different thing than actually connecting.
    Misunderstood-- the modem is trying to connect when someone picks up a phone extension. (Ex. someone goes to make a call and the modem picks up the line)

Your answer is that something on your machine (an application of some sort) is trying to access the internet and the machine is attempting to dial out. Just because there is no program running at the time does not meanthat there is no program (or programs) running in the background. Even if you look in task manager, you may not see all active applications (esp if they are not friendly).

W2K logs show only min services running and not apps starting

One thing I might suggest is to go into IE properties, click connections tab and then put a dot next to "never dial a connection". This may stop proggies from trying to access the net.

That was one of the first things done.

Adding a firewall will tell you what is trying to get to the internet and where it is trying to go to as well. Your question is then answered.

You did not mention a gateway before. Are you using a proxy or internet connection sharing on one of the PC's??? If not, what is acting as a gateway? Unless you actually mean a Gateway brand computer, then why wouldn't you run a firewall? There is absolutly nothing that makes a Gateway brand computer any safer than the next PC against attack from the outside or from trojans and the like.

W2k acting as gateway with firewall installed. Brand new W2K install with sp3.

Virus scanners - they do not always pick up everything and new viruses get right through as there is nothing in the definitions to say that it is a virus. Also, there are many a trojan and virus that none of the antivirus community ever include in their defintion updates. They don't hear about a good deal of them, just the ones that are successfull. Heck, on my file sharing machine I have run many a proggie that Norton, AVG and 2 different trojan scanners (yes all running at 1 time) all failed to pick up. The only thing that kept me from becoming compromised was my firewall that stopped the proggie from accessing the net.

Anti V used fully up to date... Other ideas?? (Welcome all ideas... for the "stranges most crazy idea often works..." author unknown. The quote is often true...

The modem "answering" when a phone extension is picked up sounds to me like a problem within your cabling for the extensions. Have you set Autoanswer to off (with an init string?)

I remember that when my phones were sorted out because of odd line drops on my dialup the engineer muttered something about needing a loopback installed on the master socket.... unfortunately I was not paying to much attention at the time because my toddling son had just fallen over... perhaps a telecoms guru would know what he meant?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Re: data

Originally posted by Garfeild_Cat
    Misunderstood-- the modem is trying to connect when someone picks up a phone extension. (Ex. someone goes to make a call and the modem picks up the line)

I misunderstood. I thought the modem was dialing out, not picking up calls. That's wierd. Go with what Noo said.

Init String....

Originally posted by NooNoo
    The modem "answering" when a phone extension is picked up sounds to me like a problem within your cabling for the extensions. Have you set Autoanswer to off (with an init string?)

<<<<SNIP>>>>

I should have thought of the init string.... we use them to assist in overcoming crappy modem issues (HSP MICRO ...Crud). My least fav type of modem.... and Compaqqq used to use them quite often.

I will see if the init works and fill in later..

Cheers.

Garf.