sharing woes....

Thread: sharing woes....

sharing woes....

ok.. i have 2 comps that i want to access the internet... 1, my win2k box, is connected directly thru my rez connection on 1 nic, and has another nic that is connect by a crossover cable to my linux box that i want to have access to the net.

how do i set up win2k pro to do this type of sharing without it reverting the ip of one of the nics back to 192.168.0.1???
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

[geek code]
    v3.12
    GCS
    d- s: a-- C++>$ US>$ UL>$ P+ L+ E--- W++>$ N K- w O---- PS PE Y+ t+ 5++ X R tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e h-- r+ y++
    [/geek code]

If you are using the inbuilt ICS in W2k you can't. The nic ip must be 192.168.0.1.

Certainly I have never found a way around this, there may be a registry hack, but MS actually specify that this is the case so you are stuck with it.

There are other sharing apps out there that will allow you to set up any (internal) ip range you like, never used them though as ICS works well for me.

Is there any reason you can't have your network in the 192.168.0.x range?

emr

In network connections link the two connections with a bridge. Should work.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by Gollo
    In network connections link the two connections with a bridge. Should work.
    and how exactly do i do that... networking is not really my thing at the second.....

Originally posted by emr
    Is there any reason you can't have your network in the 192.168.0.x range?

ya there is emr... im on a university network and we have assigned ip's.... and if i dont use it.. i cant keep downloading pr0n
    Last edited by Imon Fyre; January 14th, 2003 at 02:42 PM.
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

[geek code]
    v3.12
    GCS
    d- s: a-- C++>$ US>$ UL>$ P+ L+ E--- W++>$ N K- w O---- PS PE Y+ t+ 5++ X R tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e h-- r+ y++
    [/geek code]

Select both network connections (clik hold ctrl and clik the second one) then right clik and select bridge. This is all right off the top of my head so if it's not 100% correct... my bad.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

sorry gollo, that doesnt seem to be the way to do it.. did a google search when that didnt work and it turns out thats the way you do it in XP

[geek code]
    v3.12
    GCS
    [/geek code]

Huh my bad. I seem to remember doing it back when I had 2k on my system.

Originally posted by Imon Fyre
    sorry gollo, that doesnt seem to be the way to do it.. did a google search when that didnt work and it turns out thats the way you do it in XP
    Yup you were right. Here it states that only xp has the bridge feature.

Originally posted by NooNoo
    or hack the reg
    Yu see? I only posted that you couldn't change it because I knew someone would come back and say you could.

I love WD. Been wondering if that was possible for about a year, just too lazy to do any research.

Thanks NooNoo.

emr