Copying XP from old drive to new drive

Thread: Copying XP from old drive to new drive

Copying XP from old drive to new drive

All:
    Bought a new HDD and want to copy my old drive to new. I used Ghost and got all three partitions copied, but when I start with the new drive as master the User profiles don't load...do I need to use Ghost Walker to get the profiles moved? All the data moved cleanly; when I move the old drive back to Master and boot it does so successfully and I can execute my apps from the new drive...ideas?

Thanks

user profiles

user profiles are generated of sids, sids are generated off of hardware inside the machine...if the hardware does not match up then it assums that you don't have rights to the data...
    best bet..

backup all the infromation under documents and settings..
    reinstall the os on 2nd hd, reinstall all software, and then when everything is running smooth format the original hd.

:edit: if you used ghost, and the second disk is larger then the original then you might have some unused space at the end of your drive...you can reclaim it using a program like partition magic, or create another partition.

ghost walker will not remove the SIDS (or did not last i knew), so the only option is sysprep, but that is only for identical h/w..It might work have not had experince with sysprep with different harddrives
    Last edited by Chris_MacMahon; March 19th, 2003 at 12:48 PM.
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

I had already partioned the new drive, and ghost had no problem moving data...if I back up docs and settings, do you think I can just move them into the copy? I gues I'd have to come in as admin to do it, what do you think?

try using sysprep.exe from the support folder on the xp cd. run it, shut down and create the image on a different computer.

After you copy the image to the new HD, when you boot it goes through the final install process like systems that Dell or gateway sends with new computers. but after you go through the process all your programs and files will still be there, I use it on all the images at work, works great for systems with slightly different hardware.

you might want to use the sysprep /pnp switch to force the new setup to detect the new drive before it creates the sid's for your profiles.

Thanks, Rô©kHøµñÐ, I'll try it...let you know how it works out...

i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

This is silly but which version of Ghost are you using?

I use the 2003 version and ghosted 3 different XP machines from 20 gig drives to 160 gig drives without loosing a thing including all profiles, settings and it used the entire drive without having to go back and use partition magic.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Also how are you ghosting, disk to disk, or partition to partition?

Have you tried the WINXP File and Settings Transfer Wizard?
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

Oops! Let's try that again.

Have you tried the WINXP File and Settings Transfer Wizard?

Run the wizard with just the old drive installed. Save the file to C:\

Install the new ghosted drive with the old drive as a slave.
    Run the wizard from the new drive pointing to the partition on the old drive where you stored the file you just created.

We use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard all the time on new builds where customers want all there old documents, emails, address books, favourites and internet settings moved over. Works on WIN95 on up and I've been told the WINXP F & S Wiz can even be used going 95-98, 98-98Se or 98-ME etc.
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

Thanks, everyone, for your posts. Froghead, could I use the Settings wizard and pass the info to the new drive? The problem is that I can't get the OS to fully boot...it sits and the welcome screen and doesn't load any profiles at all...just "Welcome"

As for what version of Ghost I used, it was 2000, and I ghosted "Partition to Partition"

Again, many thanks, guys!

Originally posted by chungasrevenge2
    Thanks, everyone, for your posts. Froghead, could I use the Settings wizard and pass the info to the new drive? The problem is that I can't get the OS to fully boot...it sits and the welcome screen and doesn't load any profiles at all...just "Welcome"

As for what version of Ghost I used, it was 2000, and I ghosted "Partition to Partition"

Again, many thanks, guys!
    That is your problem, ghost 2000 is not win xp compatible.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have only used the file and settings transfer wizard on a drive where windows was working. I think that's the only way.
    Also as NooNoo mentioned you Ghost 2002 for WinXP

Um.. what about the repair option in WINXP setup?...