serial ata drive not recognized by xp

Thread: serial ata drive not recognized by xp

Unhappy serial ata drive not recognized by xp

hope you guys can help me out here. i got a intel D845PEBt2 mobo with onboard serial ata connections. currently have a maxtor 80g hd 7200rpm with 8mg cache and a seagate 5400rpm 40g also have a plexwriter and a aopen dvd drive. all running happily in a 2g p4 with 512 of fast ddr. i suppose your all saying whats the problem. well in my thirst for massiveness i went out and got me a brand new seagate 120g 7200 rpm serial ata drive. but try as i might i cant get windows to find it. i formated and partitioned it and even ghosted it with my system from a cd. set the bios to enable boot from ata i have even tried having it as the only drive in the computer. no joy. windows starts to boot but hangs and just goes nowhere. tried the repair option booting from cd, windows says it cant find any hard drive to repair. this is driving me nutz. if i hook up the maxtor and everything else it finds c: on the maxtor and shows all 240g of drives lets me transfer files and it all runs fine. but i want my system to run from my fastest drive. i cant understand why i cant get windows to see this drive as c: am i making sense here? im trying to be as detailed as i can. any help would be most appreciated.
    what you dont know wont give you nearly as many problems as what you think you know...... THAT AINT RIGHT!..... TO PARAPHRASE WILL ROGERS

Here's what Microsoft has to say on the subject of serial ATA: http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/tech/...alATA_FAQ.asp.

It might point you towards possible troubleshooting tips.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

One thing you don't seem to have done is to install Windows XP from scratch and you may need to press F5 to install the SATA driver. Here is your motherboard page with links to drivers etc
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    One thing you don't seem to have done is to install Windows XP from scratch and you may need to press F5 to install the SATA driver. Here is your motherboard page with links to drivers etc
    That is exactly where I was going to go with a suggestion. Consider this a second motion...

NooNoo, isn't it F6 to load additional SCSI/IDE drivers during initial setup?

AAaaaah shoot ya, F5 for HAL, F6 for Scsi - sorry Toothache still lives...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."