best way to share a dial up connection - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: best way to share a dial up connection

I missed the access control bit before. SME (e-smith) comes with squid, and there are addons available to add more access control. If you want to flat out deny internet access, you can add a firewall rule to block that IP/MAC address even. It's based on RedHat and completely open source, excluding a few of their own packages that handle the custom templating stuff they do. If you have an old PC you can use, it's worth a look.

Originally posted by InvisiBill
    I missed the access control bit before. SME (e-smith) comes with squid, and there are addons available to add more access control. If you want to flat out deny internet access, you can add a firewall rule to block that IP/MAC address even. It's based on RedHat and completely open source, excluding a few of their own packages that handle the custom templating stuff they do. If you have an old PC you can use, it's worth a look.
    Also if I remember correctly sme also has a feature that only allows internet access during the hours you specify. Pretty slick.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I installed SME and by the documentation it looks quite slick. but I'm ready to pitch the thing out the window right now. I've got the initial configuration done and am trying to test the internet connection but the thing won't tone dial my external USR 28.8 modem I'm testing with. I've tried init strings and just ATZ but it pulse dials everytime. the phone tone dials just fine and the modem tone dials through windows. ARRGHHHHHHH!!!
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

I've had great success and reliability with the 3Com Officeconnect LAN-modem. Basically its an external modem that has a built-in 4 port hub, which can be uplinked to other hubs or switches. Pretty good speed for a 56k modem and can be used with a standard ISP account. Though, don't tell your ISP that this will be a "shared, business" connection. We made that mistake here and now they charge us $60us/month for that "dedicated" connection (as they call it...)

Oh well, moving to cable there soon anyhow...

Del

Originally posted by kato2274
    I installed SME and by the documentation it looks quite slick. but I'm ready to pitch the thing out the window right now. I've got the initial configuration done and am trying to test the internet connection but the thing won't tone dial my external USR 28.8 modem I'm testing with. I've tried init strings and just ATZ but it pulse dials everytime. the phone tone dials just fine and the modem tone dials through windows. ARRGHHHHHHH!!!
    Interesting. I couldn't get a test box to pulse dial at all. Are you sure there's not a DIP switch on the modem set to pulse? Windows drivers might override this, but SME is using the hardware settings... *shrug*

Install the "e-smith-dialup" contributed RPM. It will add a Server Manager panel where you can change all the modem settings.

Originally posted by InvisiBill
    Interesting. I couldn't get a test box to pulse dial at all. Are you sure there's not a DIP switch on the modem set to pulse? Windows drivers might override this, but SME is using the hardware settings... *shrug*

Install the "e-smith-dialup" contributed RPM. It will add a Server Manager panel where you can change all the modem settings.
    I'll look into the modem dip switch issue. that might be something there. can you point me towards the rpm package you mentioned or is it on that CD somewhere.

I'm a relative linux newbie so any help would be appreciated.

http://www.google.com/search?q=e-smith-dialup =)

www.contribs.org has also been set up to form a sort of central area for SME contribs...

hooked up a external 56K and this time it worked. now I need to try to get SME to ask to authenticate users before allowing internet access. any help or tips is as always appreciated.