public dns server setup

Thread: public dns server setup

public dns server setup

Ok is this possible can one take a dns server that will be running on a lan. The server will be running windows 2000 server lets say one makes that a public dns server behind a router firewall. Can I simply forward the dns request from the router to the box or does that dns server have to have its on public ip address and be put in a dmz zone.This dns server will be used to host 8 public websites with different domain names.

you will have no need to DMZ it...so please don't. All you have to do is "port forward" all public port 53 requests to the private address of the internal DNS server.

So lets say that I have an internet connection address of 208.40.105.x (public)
    and my private lan addy is 172.17.115.16
    I would have to do something like this
    auto-forward eth0 tcp 53 172.17.115.16
    auto-forward eth0 udp 53 172.17.115.16

Just make sure the entries made in ur internal DNS server are public ones...not private...or else the look-ups will fail.
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

Would you happen to have any links or info on running windows 2000 server as a public dns server. I run a ad integrated internal dns server now but this will be the first one thats used for public use.

Sure I will post them shortly...Once you've got the DNS part configured, as you do, all it takes is adding zone files.
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1