Windows Actived.

Thread: Windows Actived.

Question Windows Actived.

If you have windowsXP home on one PC but you changed that one to windowsME but you registered XP with the windowsMe computer which has been downgroued. Would you be able to reregister the XP on another PC?

Yes..although you may have to call ms with the number listed on the activation page..you are allowed to use your copy on one machine..in this case you would be in the same situation as someone that had their old machine go belly up. The sticky part comes in if you have a winxp upgrade, since it ties itself to the me you had previously..although, I still think it would be ok since you woul dhave to be upgrading something in another machine to use it.

Do yourself a favor, just tell MS that the PC died in a power outage, and you scrapped it. Now you want to install your OS on a new PC you just build. That way noone will try to split any hairs on you...

I agree with Ya_Know. You should be able to do that. I was actually able to return the first copy of XP Pro that I bought. The version of Easy CD that I had wasn't burning CDs correctly and after I complained to the manager at Office Max they let me return it. I had said that this was an issue with XP and that was sufficient for him.

Once I owned XP Pro again, I had to reinstall due to an upgrade to a RAID configuration on my system, a call to MS was made.
    I informed them that there as a drastic hardware change and XP wanted to be reactivated, they were fine with that. You should be OK.

?

Wouldn't there be an issue if it was an OEM copy of XP though. Then it should only be registered with that one computer, if that computer "dies" doesn't the license die with it?

Tony
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Nope..I've changed out entire computers that were damaged by fire, lightning strikes, etc..never a problem as long as it is only installed on one machine at a time.