Problem with nvidia drivers on MS Windows 2003 server

Thread: Problem with nvidia drivers on MS Windows 2003 server

Angry Problem with nvidia drivers on MS Windows 2003 server

I downloaded the Evaluation Kit from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003 and burned the ISO, installed the software, the suspense grew stronger as i stared at the suspicious grey GUI. Needless to say i liked it. After installing several CAD and CADD programs, such as Autodesk Inventor 5.3, Autodesk Architectural desktop, and RhinoCeros 3d. They all ran smoothly even though this version of Windows wasnt designed for them. Next i desided to install one of my favorite video games, Sierra's Counter-Strike, but as the application loaded juxtapositioned red and white lines diagnolly down the screen. I figured it was the drivers. The graphics card im currently running is Nvidia's GeForce 4 Ti4400.
    So i went to the Nvidia driver download page and discovered there wasnt a driver available compatible with the OS. So i made several google searches and have been watching the forums to no avail. If you have any information on updated Nvidia drivers or third party drivers, please post.

I just downloaded the newest ones from Nvidia and I am using them right now. Same OS! I think they are the 43.45 ones

2003 server is just a re-designed and locked-down XP in the server version. XP drivers (or even 2000) should work.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

You will need to enable the Windows Audio service to have sound. I also downloaded Directx from MS, as 2003 Server ships with 8.1, I installed 9.0a and have no issues. I wanted to play Scarface on DVD but Windows Media Player denied me the option. (No hardware compatible mpeg decoder on a P4-2.53ghz Nvidia GF4MX420 card) So I needed to install PowerDVD to get running. I haven't tried Media Player since though.

here are a couple of related items too:
    Why do games not work on the Windows Server 2003 Beta?

A: There are two correct answers for this question:

Official Answer: Windows Server 2003 does not support game applications. Many of the functions needed to play games are either disabled or not present at all. Enabling this functionality is an unsupported configuration. Simply said: don't play games on Windows Server 2003. Period.

Unofficial Answer: Many games work well with Windows Server 2003, but require special steps be taken to ensure adequate gameplay. You must enable graphics acceleration, enable DirectX, and enable the Windows Audio service. Instructions for enabling these services can be found elsewhere in the Unofficial FAQ, or will be added shortly.

Q: Why doesn't DirectX acceleration work in Windows Server 2003?
    A: There are two correct answers for this question:

Official Answer: This is by design. Graphics Acceleration is disabled by default, which disables DirectX functionality. This is to enhance server stability and is not needed in standard server scenarios. Re-enabling such functionality is not a valid server testing scenario.

Unofficial Answer: To enable Direct X, you must first enable graphics acceleration. To do this, right click on the desktop and go to Properties, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshooting, and set the Hardware acceleration bar to Full.

To activate Direct3D and DirectDraw (DirectX), go to Start/Run and type "dxdiag". Click OK. Click on the Display tab, then click on the Enable button for DirectDraw and Direct3d.

True.

Why do people insist on trying to game on a server?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Why do people insist on trying to game on a server?
    Somebody has to find the bugs in the server OS-es too...
    Plus you might have several services running in the background (http, ftp, smtp, dns, dhcp, wins...) and slowing down the game, which calls for a better video card

I just wanted to see how well my hardware stacks up against yet another bloated M$ OS. Server 2003 actually has ran very well, other than having to get the hardware acceleration working.

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Why do people try to run a web server from a Timex Sinclair? Why do they climb to the top of the mountain?

'cause it's there!!!
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

well...

thanks for the information fella's. I would also like to agree that 2003 server is not for games but it's not the games, it's just the drivers for the ti4400 that arent compatible. Im back on 2000 advanced server now so as much is good. thanks again

I also expected Server 2003 to be bigger and not better. What I found, however, is MS is finally getting the point (and getting scared that we'll all bail out to Linux).
    The OS is smaller by several MB than Server 2000.
    Unlike 2000, Server 2003 has nearly everything turned off or set to low settings. This makes it one of the best-performing server OS's in years. But we'll have to really know how to set up the server. Nothing will work if you don't turn it on and set it up. It's what a server is supposed to be - not for entertainment.

It should be noted, however, that Server 2003 is fully capable of being set up as a game server, whether LAN, WAN, or Internet. MS never did like real work in the real world. They suck a supporting office needs. But Server 2003 seems to be the best server OS MS ever made.

Better than Linux? Easier, maybe.

[i]... But Server 2003 seems to be the best server OS MS ever made.
    Better than Linux? Easier, maybe. [/B]
    Except that... if you have Win95 machines in the domain you have to install the Active Directory client that resides on the... Win2000 Server CD!!!