Maxtor Drives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maxtor Drives

Maxtor Drives

The last 4 Maxtor drives I've received from my distributor have all been DOA. There was 1 20G, and 3 30G drives. All manufactured in March of this year in Singapore according to the label. Called Maxtor, but they have no info on a bad batch, or will not talk about it. Have any of the techs on this board noticed something similar lately?

Every maxtor I have owned went within the warranty period.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Tried these 4 drives on 2 different machines, all failed the powermax diags with the same error code. We all have our favorites - no offense meant, but I thought 4 in a row was unusual.

Were all 4 shipped together? If so, there is your constant variable. The entire box may have been dropped.

That's what I was wondering, but 3 on the first shipment, and one by itself. All by Fedex. Maybe warehouse football? Tks for replying.

Angry

Had a new Maxtor 40g hdd , one of the 8 meg buffer , 7200 rpm ,3 YEAR warranty jobs . Within a week , I had 32,000 k bad sectors . This increased to 98,000 in 2 days . Then came the clank clank clank of the heads slamming into the platters . I now have a nice shiny 40g Samsung , and all is wonderfull again Buy another Maxtor ? Not even at gunpoint ; not even at gunpoint with one of my toys ....
    there will be plenty of time to sleep after I'm dead....

I had a 40G Maxtor 7200RPM on which the bearings were starting to go after only a year of light service. It was making a terrible whine that was giving me a headache. Replaced it with a Seagate Barracuda V 60GB and things are dead silent, and the Maxtor makes a fine paperweight on my desk.

Why do you think the HDD manufacturers have reduced the warranty from 3 to 1 year?????
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Three Bad Maxtors

I had a computer built and went through three Maxtor drives before the warranty ran out on any of them. They were all noisy. The first was a 20G and the the others were 40G's. When the third one went, I replaced it with a Western Digital (which was in all of my Dells at school) and, (knock on wood or something) I have had no problem in a little over a year. None of them came in the same shipment or from the same supplier. So, my only conclusion would be it was the maker and I wouldn't buy another Maxtor even if it was free. Every time the drive had to be replaced, so did my data and that takes time.
    SusieQ

Here's another "me too" post. Had 4 new 20GB Maxtor's come in all DOA. We've had best luck with WD but even they're not perfect. I offer one guarantee to all my customers and that is the hardrive will fail regardless of who built it. That's why computers have backup capabilities.
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

I have had IBM harddrives from the start.. I used to NOT have any problems but when i went up into the 30Gig+ disks the trouble started.. 30Gig's and 45Gig's.. So i went over to Maxtor, i now have 5 80G Maxtor Fluid drives, where of one is in a USB2 casing and they all funktion perfectly.. 2 of them is even running in RAID 0.. Nice.. And they do NOT make noise or get hot.. I had problems with 2 of them once, but i talked with Maxtor about it and they said that it was a calibrational issue. And the Maxtor test program solved it in a jipp..
    NEVER had any problems since.. They have been going all day almost a year now i think.. But now i would like to switch them out with 8Meg cache drives..

... & the bottom line is ... they all make crap sometimes... ... if they made 'em too good, we wouldn't be buying 'new' ones all the time would we ?

Well I am giving maxtor my vote, I have 2 x 80 gigs running in raid mirror, and 1 120 gig on my ide channels, I must admit I have had one or 2 go bad, but there warranty dept is good.

Not to impressed with the new 1 year warranty though, is anyone still doing 3 years?

I rma'd these drives, and all the replacements are fine. Must have been dropped in shipment to the distributor

ain't used a maxtor in 2 year's but never had a problem with them, although I do have 2 sitting on the bench that were given to me (and i know that persons rep as a "tech" so no wonder why im needing to fix them)
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.