Best site for tech data
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best site for tech data

Best site for tech data

What is the best single site for tech data? I suspect that it is not Tom's or Anandtech ( both excellent sites). So who is the best for the average tech to use?
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Errr ... d'uh ... here !

Ask & thou shall receive ... you can't really do that at either of the other places .... & there's no 'agenda' here ... you get the unvarnished truth !

Looking for a single best tech site is kind of like looking for a single best digital camera. The answer changes depending on what you're looking for.

You want drivers? PC Hardware troubleshooting? Internetworking? Software? Some sites are strong in one area and not in another, other sites try to stay focused so as to be more valuable in whatever their niche is.

The answer might be harwarecentral for one question, fixwindows for another and tucows for the next.

Toms and Anandtech and ZDnet are all great for keeping up with current trends and product reviews.

I agree with Confus-ed about Windrivers and these tech forums, great place to come for problem or product specific advice and solutions.

The truth is there is no single best site. A Tech's ability to hunt the entirety of the internet high and low for files, fixes, information, advice... whatever is one of that Tech's most valuable skills.
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?

Oops. I used to go to fixwindows.com, its been a while though. I just tried to go there again but apparently it no longer exists. Forget I mentioned that one.
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?

Does that mean that they fixed **all** the problems with windows, and therefore we no longer need that site!?

wouldn't that be a hoot.

Craig

It may not be what your looking for when you say tech data, but really like www.dailyrotation.com for the tech news. It's the best news aggregator I have seen.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

Talking

Originally posted by confus-ed
    Errr ... d'uh ... here !

Ask & thou shall receive ... you can't really do that at either of the other places .... & there's no 'agenda' here ... you get the unvarnished truth !
    I quess that I wasn't clear enough in my request. I have been a member of this forum for nearly 2 years and most certainly cherish the information contained herein. What I was intending to find were technical resource sites that might contain databases somewhat comparable to Microsofts' KB. Often, time is of the essence and increasing my knowledge of websites devoted to techs is a handy resource.

Besides, I know y'all sleep sometimes

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Computer Technical Centre

Its mine and will grow to be the best of the best
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

That's a pretty good site Mayet I haven't tried this site yet it's in my favorites now Thanks.

Originally posted by jitBob
    I quess that I wasn't clear enough in my request....
    Besides, I know y'all sleep sometimes
    .... Well in that case 'google' & your brain ! What cisco2 says is true ... there is no 'one' single source ... I wish there was ... The KB is hardly a 'shining' example - when will they make search work !!?? (correctly!)

I do like Mayet's page though ... shows promise !

No doubt there'll be more 'essential' sites suggested ...

Just what exactly do you struggle to find ? Reviews, specs, detailed descriptions, etc ... what does the 'average tech' want ? Lots of stuff I think, but maybe you can be more specific ? ... then we can be less 'general' ! ...

Originally posted by confus-ed
    but maybe you can be more specific ? ... then we can be less 'general' ! ...
    Confus_ed, any more general in your response and I will award you another star for your epaulets. Seriously, When I require data for a specific piece of hardware I try to go to the manufacturers site. In the event that the manufacturer has ceased operations then other resources must come into play. Google is a good search engine, however it does not have the ability to read my mind and tell me the information I am looking for but am unable to put into words. When I require outdated modem information whom do inquire of? What tech site has the best links listing. These are the types of resourses I am asking for. The average tech only wants a payday and a fast car.

I never struggle, I only trudge on.

Cheers.

Mayet you have a wonderful site.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

I always used to love the Pocket PC Ref whenever I had to do anything with a modem that was acting up. Most of the time you could send commands directly to the modem that would set it back to factory default settings or that would make other needed changes. These were almost always part of the standard hayes command set and all those commands were in the PC Pocket Ref.

If, on the other hand you need to know how to physically set I/O addressing or COM Ports on an old modem that you have no manual for, you might be SOL.

In such a case I might be tempted to put that modem in a modern PC (finding one of those with an AT bus slot can be a bit of a challenge these days) and record the addresses the OS recognizes the board on. Then make a change to the DIP switches or jumper blocks and see what has changed when you boot up again.

I haven't had a current PC Pocket ref for some years now though, anyone still using those?

Originally posted by jitBob
    Google is a good search engine, however it does not have the ability to read my mind and tell me the information I am looking for but am unable to put into words.
    It does for me! - Oh wait, I am rarely speechless
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Re:Google is a good search engine ... but Noo seemss phyic sometimes ...

The way Noo finds stuff ... I thought she was wired in (to google) !

..I guess its an aquired skill, practice makes perfect & all that..... some of us mortals struggle though especially if they are confus-ed ...

Hi there,

There was one, long ago, but it got sucked in and disappeared. *lol* )

Jules...
    Otaku Anime Network
    http://www.otakuanime.com/

Guardian Of The Sailor Scouts Universe
    http://www.guardiansenshi.net/

The Sailor Scouts Gallery
    http://www.kawaiisenshi.com/