BSOD on WinXP!!

Thread: BSOD on WinXP!!

BSOD on WinXP!!

System specs: Soyo MB #D7ADA V1.0; AMD Athlon 1.15GHz; 256MB; 37GB HDD; ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X; just formatted and loaded WinXP Home.
    Op system installed; downloaded and installed latest WindowsXP drivers for the motherboard and the ATI video card. Loaded Fuji camera software, so far, so good. Customer uses AOHell--tried to install 9.0 and get BSOD, one is PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, another is something about PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA--couldn't get it all before the system reboots itself. I think there has also been others but have trouble seeing them before system reboots. I did try increasing the size of the virtual memory as one of the errors said that there was not enough virtual memory. So far nothing has helped. I need all the help I can get on this!!!! Thanks-

Update- system seems to have problems aside from trying to install the AOL. Just went and tried to pull some things up and got a "Run DLL as an APP" error message. What is going to be the fastest fix for this??

Quote Originally Posted by qei
    Update- system seems to have problems aside from trying to install the AOL. Just went and tried to pull some things up and got a "Run DLL as an APP" error message. What is going to be the fastest fix for this??
    You still getting the page file error? Try removing the page file completly and rebooting. Could have got corrupted some how. If that don't fix it then try a clean install of xp (make sure you install all the mobo drivers before anything else). Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

OK tried removing the page file--still no good. Starting getting more BSOD-- one said something about the physical memory is being dumped. Another tech here said that it is a timing issue. Went into BIOS and disabled all caches. Reformatted HDD and started fresh. Made it through install to where you set the time zone, started to set time zone and poof! BSOD--the same "physical memory dump" message. Restarted and it resumed set up but now I am really worried. Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause of these errors? I am thinking that this motherboard may be the culprit but, as usual, I am just guessing. Please help as this machine is fast becoming a "career"!!

How about telling us the exact message in the bsod?

Its very difficult to guess whats going on qei.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I'm sorry- the next time it pops up (as I am sure it will) I will write it down and post it for you. So far it is still installing however, verrrrrry slowwwly!

After fighting with this for a day and a half I finally gave up on getting XP on this system. I started fresh (fdisk & format) and started to load Win98 SE. Barely into the load it pops up the following:
    Application Error SUWIN caused a General Protection Fault in module KRNL386.EXE @ 0001.0C4B
    Can anyone help me with this or can you point me to the location on Microsoft's site to find error messages? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is one or all of three things: memory, mobo, PSU
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I would be inclined to think that it s a mem error. Try some mem recomended by the board manufacturer.