graphics upgrade

Thread: graphics upgrade

graphics upgrade

Hi all, I am in the process of building a new computer and would like to tune up my old system to hand down to my son, he is a gamer. Ok the system is a Gateway essential 366c with a celeron processor, 4.3GB hard drive(I know this could be improved) but was wondering if there was a graphics card out there that could improve the preformace for him a little bit. Thanks. Dave

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    A TNT2 would be the best thing to get, anything over that and the cpu would bottleneck the system
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Actually...

I'm assuming you have an AGP port here.

With my PII 350 I'm currently using a GFR2 MX400 64Mb - which can probably be bought for under 50$ US now.

Works with Q3, America's Army, MAx Payne, Star Trek Voyager, Counterstrike, etc.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

You might check out what Gateway recommends:
    http://accessories.gateway.com/Acces...85/Default.htm

Just click on AGP or PCI...lots of good info there.

well did some shopping and ended up with a GeForce2 MX200. Didn't figure my cpu would let one of the higher priced ones preform at the level they were intended. Seems to be working fine. We are able to run his NBA game with full crowd and refections and still get a pretty good smooth gameplay. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Originally posted by a d e p t
    Actually...

I'm assuming you have an AGP port here.

With my PII 350 I'm currently using a GFR2 MX400 64Mb - which can probably be bought for under 50$ US now.

Works with Q3, America's Army, MAx Payne, Star Trek Voyager, Counterstrike, etc.
    Yes, while it will work, its not really worth spending the extra money because the cpu will be holding it back
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Ended up using the PCI video card in my homebuilt system, untill I purchased another one. Purchased an AGP card. You are suppose to uninstall the old card software and shutdown the computer before installing the new one, right. Well when I do that I get nothing out of the monitor, not even the Bios screen.
    In theory I've been running over how to do this... can one switch the Bios to AGP, install the new AGP drivers, with the old PCI card still installed then shutdown and install the new card? Or is it possible to have both PCI & AGP plugged in install the new software to get the AGP running then remove the PCI later. I don't know, I think the little woman can't wait untill my computer building days are over. Thanks for any advice.

DS

Yes you can have both in and running at the same time, just dont put the pci vid card in slot 1 as it shares with the agp slot.

Tracking down which one its booting from can be fun, you want to set it to boot from pci.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Also make sure that you disable the onboard in the bios, some boards tend to act a bit wackey if you dont