looking for good anti-virus freeware...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: looking for good anti-virus freeware...

looking for good anti-virus freeware...

hi everyone...

first post here. i was just wondering if anyone could suggest a good, solid freeware anti-virus program. ive done a google and found a few, but i was looking for some users opinions.

my sister and brother-in-law have a laptop that they have let go completely. god knows how much spyware, adware, and virus infection they have on it. however, they do not want to have to pay the yearly subscription for Symantec or the like. i tried to convince them that it would be worth their while, but to no avail. so, i plan on hooking them up with Ad-aware and i wanted to find some kind of updatable freeware anti-virus as well for them.

i just hope the damage isn't so bad that theyll have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall XP. but somehow i get the feeling it is.

thanks in advance for any help!!

The FlyerFly

check out my Flyers homepage at

http://flyerflies.bravepages.com

We annually test most of the anti-virus programs out there here in our shop. NONE of the free ones did very good. I suppose their better than nothing, but they really do a pretty lousy job. I setup F-Secure 30 day free trial on a friends computer and I have the retail version on mine. It came in second on our tests next to KAV. But the newest KAV is kind of a memory hog. AVG free came in third to last on the test.

What test are you running Meatwad? A lot of us here us AVG free, and in the time I've used it nothing got through. Of course you gotta keep up on your updates.
    "Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

Hear is something, although it lacks for details, perhaps if we all test all the one's besides AVG, we will know a lot more!!!
    http://pcworld.shopping.yahoo.com/ya...,113462,00.asp

Quote Originally Posted by eboyjones
    What test are you running Meatwad? A lot of us here us AVG free, and in the time I've used it nothing got through. Of course you gotta keep up on your updates.
    Install Antivirus software. Update AV software. E-mail viruses to the computer. Record results. Connect hard drive infected with thousands of viruses. Scan. Record results.

AVG Free missed almost every virus that was packed in a zip file.

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    Install Antivirus software. Update AV software. E-mail viruses to the computer. Record results. Connect hard drive infected with thousands of viruses. Scan. Record results.

That's interesting considering I have been using it with my clients for over 2 years and it has been catching virus in zip files especially from emails. I have even found it effective for booting to when I suspect a drive to be infected to a point of not working and have had it clean the drive so the operating system is able to work again. As in all phases of software programs, each have their own beliefs and tests. IMHO, go with what you feel comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad

Where do you get a drive that's infected with thousands of viruses?

I concur about AVG missing things in zip files. Scary thing is that it misses trojans and viruses in self extracting (.exe) files. Otherwise it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie
    That's interesting considering I have been using it with my clients for over 2 years and it has been catching virus in zip files especially from emails. I have even found it effective for booting to when I suspect a drive to be infected to a point of not working and have had it clean the drive so the operating system is able to work again. As in all phases of software programs, each have their own beliefs and tests. IMHO, go with what you feel comfortable with.

I am a firm believer in the adage of TANSTAAFL! If this gentleman wants a free antivirus then I suspect that is what he's going to get. I have yet to find a free antivirus that I would trust. Some were ok but slow on the update.
    I personally use Norton SystemWorks2003 and found the price of $69.99 a investment in my machine. If the gentleman really wants a free antivirus tell him to hunt in the Warez department. I KNOW there are several commerical versions of all the major companies.
    Yes I am fully aware that NAV is a memory hog if you give it it's head, but with a bit of though you can pare down the memory use and still get the covrage that you need, and only waht you need.

[QUOTE=ilovetheusers]Where do you get a drive that's infected with thousands of viruses?
    QUOTE]

You mean you don't collect them?

[QUOTE=meatwad]
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    Where do you get a drive that's infected with thousands of viruses?
    QUOTE]

You mean you don't collect them?

Check the best of best software thread meat....

Here's a big list ! with lots of links to other 'free' related stuff

BTW - 'TANSTAAFL' - there is no such thing as a free lunch ... well there is free av s/w & some of it is better than others !

& an FYI ... for you AVG devotees ... check that 'use heuristics' button & you'll magically find it gets a whole load more stuff

Oooh edit !! :

We seem to be all very rude today ... so since no-one said it ... Welcome to Windrivers :-The FlyerFly
    Last edited by confus-ed; January 5th, 2004 at 07:48 AM.

At this point in time its about like owning a home and not having home insurance. I wouldnt leave my home unprotected and neither would I my computer. Norton all the way I dotn care how much resources it uses.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Check this one out...

http://www.hbedv.com/download/download.htm

I found this one @ www.nonags.com

AntiVir

This thing is cool... catches some things that aren't even dangerouse even.

I use AVG free and Norman AV. Never had a problem other than blaster.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    I concur about AVG missing things in zip files. Scary thing is that it misses trojans and viruses in self extracting (.exe) files.
    In attachments or disk files?

If disk scan, in Complete Test Settings (on Service menu in the main AVG window) make sure in the Testing section both "Internally compressed" and "Archive" options are checked. Also for a maximum security scan, it may be wise to have the Integrity Check not enabled. If it is enabled (default) AVG doesn't scan files that are unchanged against its internal integrity database of scanned files. At the moment I'm not sure what this means if the file was infected with a very recent virus just before AVG was updated to recognise that virus. By rights the integrity database should be invalidated for the first scan after an update occurs, but unchecking the option would make certain.

Also there are two heuristics options, one in Complete Test Settings in the main program, for disk scans, one in the Control Centre on the Resident Shield tab, this one is easily missed, and would be the one to catch nasties in attachments. "Use Outlook Express Plugin" on the Email Scanner tab should also be selected when OE is the email client.
    Last edited by Platypus; February 2nd, 2004 at 08:40 AM.