Dual Channel

Thread: Dual Channel

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Dual Channel

Ok, im wanting to get a dual channel DDR mobo, my question is this. Do I absolutely have to get memory thats dual channel specific? Or can I just get 2 Sticks or crucial 3200?

Secondly, whats a good dual channel board with SATA, preferably with IDE RAID, AGP 8x and in the $100-140 price range
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    I've heard good things about the:
    ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe
    Abit AN7
    MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR

I think price wise the Abit is the best bang for the buck. The Asus "seems" to be the most popular.

As to your first question I know zipzoomfly is offering Corsair TWINX 1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader Kits for $208. This is their description:
    The TWINX1024-3200C2PT is a 1 GByte matched memory pair specifically designed for motherboards using chipsets with dual memory channels.Current dual channel chipsets include the Intel 865PE/G and 875P,and the Nvidia nForce2 Ultra.This memory kit consists of two CMX512-3200C2 DDR400 CAS-2 memory modules that have been tested together on either an 875P or an nForce2 Ultra dual channel DDR motherboard.This memory has been verified to operate at 200MHz (2-3-3).TWINX memory kits are designed to provide the ultimate in performance and stability in dual channel boards. (Actually they have a 1 GB "Industry Grade" Corsair Kit for $150).
    I honestly don't see why two 512 meg PC3200 sticks from crucial wouldn't provide the same performance.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Kong
    ... I know zipzoomfly
    Major...you know zipzoomfly? What is it you're doing up there in the Arctic during your off time?

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Major...you know zipzoomfly? What is it you're doing up there in the Arctic during your off time?
    I fix and build! Due to the nature of my full-time job I took down my "shingle" when we moved up here to Alaska from Tucson. That being said the neighbors know I "dabble", so when I rotate home I always have a PC or 2 waiting to be looked at. I've only built a handful of PC's since I've been up here, mostly for family, but I've built a few for neighbors. The word really got out over Christmas and I was kept semi-busy with little "can you help me" questions. All of them were minor.

I deal with zipzoomfly because they have by far the most reasonable shipping charges to Alaska (along with crucial) + I have found the prices there to be very, very competitive. They're an excellent company to deal with. One of the biggest things I miss about Tucson is that if I didn't have something I could run down to a local supplier and get it, or go up to Tempe to Fry's Electronics and wade through the chaff to find the diamond I needed. Unfortunately up here there is one pretty good local vendor that I try to deal with as much as I can, but at times he's a goodly % higher than zipzoomfly even after shipping. My only other choices are Best Buy or (gasp) CompUSA. I also deal a little online with Spartan Technologies who has treated me more than fair too.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Kong
    I fix and build! Due to the nature of my full-time job I took down my "shingle" when we moved up here to Alaska from Tucson. That being said the neighbors know I "dabble", so when I rotate home I always have a PC or 2 waiting to be looked at. I've only built a handful of PC's since I've been up here, mostly for family, but I've built a few for neighbors. The word really got out over Christmas and I was kept semi-busy with little "can you help me" questions. All of them were minor.

I deal with zipzoomfly because they have by far the most reasonable shipping charges to Alaska (along with crucial) + I have found the prices there to be very, very competitive. They're an excellent company to deal with. One of the biggest things I miss about Tucson is that if I didn't have something I could run down to a local supplier and get it, or go up to Tempe to Fry's Electronics and wade through the chaff to find the diamond I needed. Unfortunately up here there is one pretty good local vendor that I try to deal with as much as I can, but at times he's a goodly % higher than zipzoomfly even after shipping. My only other choices are Best Buy or (gasp) CompUSA. I also deal a little online with Spartan Technologies who has treated me more than fair too.
    J/K Major: "zipzoomfly" seemed such an easy "target" for a bomb run, if ya know what I mean. It almost sounds like "Moose Drool" as a drink! Ya_know what I mean? Anyway, yeah, I can't even imagine how hard it is for you to get good service up there. And, believe me, I know what ya mean about being those "can you help me" questions. That, in fact, is my biggest problem!!! I can't say no!!!. I do more "gratis" work than paid for work...but then again, there is noone to blame for that then myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    Ok, im wanting to get a dual channel DDR mobo, my question is this. Do I absolutely have to get memory thats dual channel specific? Or can I just get 2 Sticks or crucial 3200?

Secondly, whats a good dual channel board with SATA, preferably with IDE RAID, AGP 8x and in the $100-140 price range
    We seem to have been sidetracked somewhat onto how hard it is to get stuff to Alaska ...

So for question one, my experience is any old matched pair works ... so far!

Suggestions :- Ausus A7N8X-D, EPOX EP-8RDA3+ .. pretty much everyone 'does one' though ...

& as a btw ... I'm not over convinced about any of these 'onboard' raid cards speed wise or useability .. infact just not convinced at all given 'risk' .. my advice 'currently & in general' is to forget sata raid & spend the most you can on single 10,000 rpm drive, instead of two 7,200s in a raid (sata or not), both about the same performance wise, but a single drive & the saving on a non raid motherboard, add up !

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    my experience is any old matched pair works ... so far!
    And mine, slight as it is. That was the advice of my supplier, and some ordinary Samsung stuff is working fine in my 865 board, just two of the same DIMM.

Of course the situation might be different if you were pushing things, like overclocking, but it always is...

I'm using Corsair XMS PC3200 sticks on my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe (unmatched) and they work just fine.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Il like the A7N8X Deluxe because of the audio. Asus implements the NForce Soundstorm, while most others use cheaper ALS, C-Media, etc. Very high quality board and a 3 year warranty. So far as memory, it doesn't have to be dual channel specific. I really like Kingston HyperX memory. 100% tested with latency of 2-2-2-6. Unlike Corsair, you don't need a second mortgage to buy it. Exceptional value, and the heat spreaders are a lovely shade of blue.

I had the OCZ matched pair of 3200 on the MXI Neo 2 with the 865 PE chipset and nothing but grief
    Memtest 86 showed the memory giving errors so my vendor replaced it with Cosair matched memory sticks, One of the sales people told me he just has two of the same microm 3200 sticks in his system and it was fine
    I still had stablity problems with the Neo 2 board, I went and got the Asus p4c800, it has the 875 chipset, Much better board, No more monthly formats
    I think Asus puts out a better product, they may not color their PCB but they work
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Does Intel make any boards that are dual capable?
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Yup.....D865GBFLK is one.....
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!