Asus P5A 133 MHz FSB?

Thread: Asus P5A 133 MHz FSB?

Asus P5A 133 MHz FSB?

I have been tinkering with an Asus P5A board and some K6-2 processors.

I found this site: http://www.cs.montana.edu/~kimh/p5a-oc.html

It gives jumper settings for running the P5A at 133MHz FSB with K6-2 processors. I am wondering if anyone has tried this.

I seem to recall that cache had to be disabled on some Socket 7 boards running at higher FSB speeds.

From what I can tell on this site, 133 is just a theoretical setting, if you are serious about trying this, make sure you have everything you are going to need and to take it in steps, don't just thump it up to 133mhz FSB.. small steps.

A good, steady HSF, good thermal compound, and such with be required, if you are confident, you maybe able to prise the heatplate of the k6-2 CPU to get closer to the core (it has been said this improves cooling greatly). It's certainly something I would try if I had the spare parts (im just like that ) but not something I would do if it was my main system.

What have you tried so far?
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

p5a is not stable enough. I have 2 of them and about every speed k6-2 chip. I have tried countless combos and never had much luck.

Now, if you can get your hands on teh k6-2+ you might have better luck.

I have not tried any radical FSB or voltage overclocking, but I have had modest success with gentle multiplier tweaking with my 333, 350, 450, and 475 MHz processors. I killed my 500 MHz processor, but I suspect that it had already suffered greatly before it entered my hands, and it never ran particularly well for me even at its rated speed.

If you were tempted to try some heavy overclocking I would suggest the 333 or look for a mobile CPU. Good Luck.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.