Radeon 9500 Gigabyte 7vaxp ultra HELP!

Thread: Radeon 9500 Gigabyte 7vaxp ultra HELP!

Question Radeon 9500 Gigabyte 7vaxp ultra HELP!

I have a Radeon 9500 card and a Gigabyte 7vaxp ultra mobo. The card worked fine for about a month then after a reboot i get a display of coloured squares and lines on power up and it stayed like that (the colours/squares change and move as windows loads. ). It worked fine in other pc's but when i put it in mine and it doesnt. I tried my other cards on my pc and they work fine.

I left this for about a month then when i had to reformat and reinstall OS I also updated the bios. Tried the card again and it worked. But after a week it has now done it again. When i power up its coloured squares and lines. Can anyone help with this please. I have asked a lot of people about this and had a lot of advice and tried a lot of things but nothing seems to help. I havent got a clue whats goin on.

Sounds like defective videomemory to me... Do you have any videocard software tester to test videomemory?

Not sure. I have a Redline Tweak Utility on a cd that came with the card I havent looked at that yet. If it is defective is the card completely unusable then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan
    Sounds like defective videomemory to me... Do you have any videocard software tester to test videomemory?

Don't get carried away with this defective video business ... I think Ruslan's having "a mad 'un" ..

The fact that it works, then doesn't work, then works again, tells me 'more likely' its a windoze issue with resources ...

Next time it does it, try opening bios & clearing NVRAM or resetting ESCD & see if you can reboot 'normally' after that, if you can (or clearing cmos completely does it) its a resource issue ... if it makes no never mind, then I'm having a mad 'un

Nvram Escd Resource Issues?

Thanks. How do I clear NVRAM and reset ESCD? Cant find it in the bios? If it is a resource issue how do I stop it from happening?

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Don't get carried away with this defective video business ... I think Ruslan's having "a mad 'un" ..

The fact that it works, then doesn't work, then works again, tells me 'more likely' its a windoze issue with resources ...

Next time it does it, try opening bios & clearing NVRAM or resetting ESCD & see if you can reboot 'normally' after that, if you can (or clearing cmos completely does it) its a resource issue ... if it makes no never mind, then I'm having a mad 'un

Quote Originally Posted by shazamuk
    Thanks. How do I clear NVRAM and reset ESCD? Cant find it in the bios? If it is a resource issue how do I stop it from happening?
    Answering the first point is pretty easy ... open bios (usually hit delete 'like crazy' while booting - so until it goes 'beep' -screen is very 'blue' if you got there) ... then go look for

(I 'nicked' that image from Here- which has more info ... )

Clearing NVRAM or ESCD is the same thing ... Just slightly different technical explanations, but the same net result

If its a resource sharing issue things aren't so simple !

Go look in device manager & figure out if windows thinks your Video is sharing an IRQ (you can view devices by 'resource type' which makes it easy) ... the 'ideal' situation is where the video doesn't share with anything else, there are many many complications with this, but persistance pays

Confirm this is the situation though first before we run around changing anything...

Clearing NVram/ESCD data though is a seperate procedure that won't 'change' anything 'bad' & should make no never mind to a user, just 'reset' how windows is arbitrating resource conflicts