System Builder In Houston, TX Area - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: System Builder In Houston, TX Area

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Yes, so therefore we need to "disable" bios ACPI support if possible and other hardware "sleep" options.
    After we do this, we see if we still have the same problem.
    But this one has me wondering:
    The PC should not be doing that after a "warm" reboot.
    Have you ever talked to the owner of this shop?
    He needs to make this right for you.
    I will be visiting the owner tomorrow again about these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Many Horses
    I will be visiting the owner tomorrow again about these problems.
    Right.
    And let us know what comes of it.
    Good luck.

Banned
    If they don't get it working, please pm me with the name of the place. I will make sure that no business is sent there, not that it matters too much in a city this freaking big.

And keep up with the people here, they are all freaking brilliant and can help you through most anything.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    You are using a 5 year old os on a brand new machine.

98 will work, kinda, but it will also be unstable. The bios in the new machines are designed to work with XP or a fully updated windows 2000.

98 just does not have the power management and acpi management strengths that xp has.
    Okay,
    I have puchased a new OEM version 2002 Windows Xp with Service Pack 1a.
    I want to completely re-set up this unit. I know I have to reformat etc. But is there a standard procedure for me to follow to insure I get a clean install?

1. Re format
    2. Install OS
    3. Update MB Bios from ASUS
    4. Do I have to reset/flash Bios?
    5. Do I have to do anything else to the hard drive to switch to WIN XP from WIN 98 SE?
    etccccccccccccccc.
    ASUS A7N8X DELUXE, AMD XP 2800; with AMD XP Cool Master fan, 2-sticks Kingston 512/333/PC2700 DDR Memory; Two(2) Hard Drives-Maxtor 80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133, 8 MB Cache; Maxtor 40 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133; Chaintech 64 MB Nvidia g-Force 2 MX 400/200; IOmega 100 Internal zip drive; Litetron 52 x 32 x 52 CD-RW; Antec 430 W TruePower power supply; Windows XP Home.

Okay,
    I have puchased a new OEM version 2002 Windows Xp with Service Pack 1a.
    I want to completely re-set up this unit. I know I have to reformat etc. But is there a standard procedure for me to follow to insure I get a clean install?

1. Re format
    2. Install OS
    3. Update MB Bios from ASUS
    4. Do I have to reset/flash Bios?
    5. Do I have to do anything else to the hard drive to switch to WIN XP from WIN 98 SE?
    etccccccccccccccc.
    1. backup your data.
    2. if you are going to flash the bios, do it first. May as well run the risk of toasting the board before doing any work
    3. boot from xp cd and remove all partitions
    4 re create partitions as required, recommend 1 partition of about 10-15 gig for os and programs and the rest for data... or 2 data partitions if your prefer.
    5. Let xp set up run, filling in forms as it requires. Ensure the modem is connected so it can activate on line on first start, usually the most painless way to do it.
    6. Enjoy reloading all your programs and data.

Have you ascertained which bios flash program you need and which bios flash file?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

1. backup your data.
    2. if you are going to flash the bios, do it first. May as well run the risk of toasting the board before doing any work
    3. boot from xp cd and remove all partitions
    4 re create partitions as required, recommend 1 partition of about 10-15 gig for os and programs and the rest for data... or 2 data partitions if your prefer.
    5. Let xp set up run, filling in forms as it requires. Ensure the modem is connected so it can activate on line on first start, usually the most painless way to do it.
    6. Enjoy reloading all your programs and data.

Have you ascertained which bios flash program you need and which bios flash file?
    I am not assuming I have to flash BIOS. The Motherboard has a AUTO Update for the BIOS in its onboard utilitys. I just want to make sure I do this right. I am not that "tech" informative mind. LOL! I don't want any memory or data from the current installation to be hanging and lurking around in the background. I just want to totally clean the system and start over with the new WIN XP.
    ASUS A7N8X DELUXE, AMD XP 2800; with AMD XP Cool Master fan, 2-sticks Kingston 512/333/PC2700 DDR Memory; Two(2) Hard Drives-Maxtor 80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133, 8 MB Cache; Maxtor 40 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133; Chaintech 64 MB Nvidia g-Force 2 MX 400/200; IOmega 100 Internal zip drive; Litetron 52 x 32 x 52 CD-RW; Antec 430 W TruePower power supply; Windows XP Home.

I am not assuming I have to flash BIOS. The Motherboard has a AUTO Update for the BIOS in its onboard utilitys. I just want to make sure I do this right. I am not that "tech" informative mind. LOL! I don't want any memory or data from the current installation to be hanging and lurking around in the background. I just want to totally clean the system and start over with the new WIN XP.
    I would probably skip flashing the BIOS then unless there is a major glitch that an upgrade would repair for you.

OK lets get one thing straight.

Flashing the bios means updating the rom chip.

However the manufacturer utilities work, you are doing the same thing, updating a particular sort of rom chip. This is dangerous which ever way you achieve it. If you lose power, or get a power spike or use the wrong flash update file it WILL toast your bios and probably render your board inoperable.

Some really bright manufacturers thought it would be a good idea to do this online.... except they forgot that losing the connection half way through the upgrade has the same result as having a power failure... the bios is garbage and recovery techniques have to be instituted.

The safest and quickest way is still a standard bootable floppy diskette with the flash.exe and the flash.rom or flash.bin (depending on which company it is). This is safest because it spends the least time updating.

Yes you can use the windows flash (I personally don't trust it). NEVER use an online update. You can also flash from the hard drive IF you boot to commandprompt safe mode. You can also flash from a bootable cdrom (although its such a waste to put 1mb on a 700mb cdrom) OK some cdrw's will read a bootable cdrw, but you should make sure that is the case first.

What you are about to do is no more complex than changing a spark plug on a standard engine... but what happens if you crossthread it?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Then it makes me go to the BIOS settings and reset the FSB speed to 166 Mhz
    But this one has me wondering:
    The PC should not be doing that after a "warm" reboot.
    Have you ever talked to the owner of this shop?
    He needs to make this right for you.
    Looking back Many, what ever became of the above issue.
    Remember, that should not be happening.
    What ever became of talking to the system builder?
    If this problem is why someone recommended a BIOS flash, then it must be done, but do as NooNoo says and do it from a floppy disk.
    Go in to windows and create a startup disk and then copy the FLASH utility and Bin file to it.
    Then flash the bios.
    Then proceed with the OS installation.
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; December 26th, 2003 at 01:09 PM.

Looking back Many, what ever became of the above issue.
    Remember, that should not be happening.
    What ever became of talking to the system builder?
    If this problem is why someone recommended a BIOS flash, then it must be done, but do as NooNoo says and do it from a floppy disk.
    Go in to windows and create a startup disk and then copy the FLASH utility and Bin file to it.
    Then flash the bios.
    Then proceed with the OS installation.
    Okay Here is what has happened with that above issue. I used the ASUS Utility program that came with the motherboard cd to obtain a BIOS update. It worked, at least it has not done that any since the updated BIOS was installed.

The cp was......taken back to the builder prior to my updating of the BIOS. He changed out a cooling fan on the processor, "monkey-ed" with the Existing BIOS settings and sent me home with it. I was so mad! It took me one whole evening just to get the 3Com onboard lan connection to connect to my broadban server (RR).

After that fiascio with the builder and the attitude's of the shop in a whole, I see no way that I would ever get satisfied and have a good system. So I have refused to let myself take it back to them again.

Through forums, talks with other cp users of this motherboard, it is of the conclusion of all that a clean start and install of WIN XP would be a new beginning.

Now I am just looking at how to start and do it myself. If I do not have to "flash", Then I do not want too. I am really concerned that I might screw something up real bad. I just want to stay with the basics as needed.
    (although I have talked to another cp repair guy who wants to charge me $80 per hour to fix the problems, he sayes it shouldn't take more than two hours.) I am leary of having to spend that much money for something that might me as simple as a new format and install of a current OS>>>>>

Recommendations?
    Last edited by Many Horses; December 26th, 2003 at 01:33 PM.

Right then, no bios flash, just use 1 -backup and move onto 3.

Might want to come into chat to talk about it live if you have a machine on line near the one you want to reload.

Just to update, Many Horses and I were in chat getting him sorted for a couple of hours, end result, Many Horses was a very happy bunny.

XP loaded, drivers loaded, emails imported, system working with the router. One very satisfied customer I think.

The key to his problems I think is sticking 98se on hardware meant for xp. While 98se will work, it will be frustrating getting it right.

Just to update, Many Horses and I were in chat getting him sorted for a couple of hours, end result, Many Horses was a very happy bunny.

XP loaded, drivers loaded, emails imported, system working with the router. One very satisfied customer I think.

The key to his problems I think is sticking 98se on hardware meant for xp. While 98se will work, it will be frustrating getting it right.

I have just overcome a similar problem with this board, which in the end was I removed the video card and replaced, with similar, then retried original card and it remained stable, it was shuting off video and had to be reset, also the bios reset was the same.

The jist of what I am saying is remove and reseat your video adapter, worth a try. It was xp pro and was totally at random, i.e. sometimes stable for 5 hrs and sometimes 1.
    Last edited by TRICKPLAYER; December 28th, 2003 at 02:20 AM.

Smile UPdate to System Builder Problem

Seems all problems have corrected themselves with a fresh reformat, and full install of Windows XP. Thanks for all the help to all and particularly NooNoo.