FBI looking for HL2 code thief

Thread: FBI looking for HL2 code thief

FBI looking for HL2 code thief

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3414157.stm

...The FBI action is the first sign of a serious criminal investigation following the appearance of part of the Half-Life 2 source code on the internet last year...
    Gaming is officially Big Business.

...As a result of the leaked top-secret code, which accounted for about a third of the game, the release of Half-Life 2 has been delayed twice. It is now due out in April...
    That perp has just bought himself the "slimeball of the year" award from gamers all around the world.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Personally I think the guy who stole the code should be applauded. When halflife first came out, it was big, but when counterstrike was developed for it that's when the online side of it really took off and it became huge. Because the code is 1/3 leaked now, the chances of an addon for halflife 2 are multiplied in my opnion because some bright sparks will already have a head start.

The only downside is that cheats / hacks will appear sooner for the same reasons.

Of course I can't condone stealing of the code, but if it was that important then surely the security should have been a little better.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

...As a result of the leaked top-secret code, which accounted for about a third of the game, the release of Half-Life 2 has been delayed twice. It is now due out in April...
    Bull****. The game wasn't ready for a September release. The game still hadn't gone gold before the hack happened. Through utter stupidity on Valve's part, the source was stolen and now they have a scapegoat for their preexisting delays.

Screw HL2 anyways. Far Cry, Stalker, Painkiller and Doom3 are on the way.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

I don't see what the stolen code has to do with the delay. It's not as though the code was deleted, it was simply copied by a hacker right? If it was deleted then it's their own damn fault for not having a backup which is highly unlikely. So if this is true then what is stoping them from completing the game? Nothing as far as I can tell. BS indeed.
    I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol! -Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger
    Screw HL2 anyways. Far Cry, Stalker, Painkiller and Doom3 are on the way.
    Gonna miss it, but I agree. Half Life/TFC is the only app on my PC I care about. Saddest thing is keep hitting "Refresh" on server list and watch the number slowly go down. Time to build the Doom machine.

Quote Originally Posted by machineman
    Gonna miss it, but I agree. Half Life/TFC is the only app on my PC I care about. Saddest thing is keep hitting "Refresh" on server list and watch the number slowly go down. Time to build the Doom machine.
    I turned my halflife / counterstrike server off due to the cheats. Got sick of them in the end and the game stopped being fun. I'll still try half life 2 and if I get addicted once more then I suppose I'll have to build the server again!!
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something