Cannot Install OS *LONG* - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cannot Install OS *LONG*

Good point on the "incompatible", Snow, but I think I'll stick to "bad". I sometimes get modules that are certified for a particular board, and they don't perform correctly. Though they may be OK in another board. In other words, I think the modules in question often suffer from small manufacturing imperfections.

For the last 2 years, I have bought virtually all my memory direct from a single manufacturer, which makes RA issues and such lots easier. They recently resumed a lapsed policy of testing 100% of chips and completed modules, which has made my life easier. Unfortunately, I still work on lots of machines with InterNet Special memory (JUNK).

Any luck yet Blackhawk?
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Thank you so much, all. I'm getting new RAM today...I'll keep you posted. BTW, I got 98SE installed, but it started flaking when I tried to install my Linksys Wireless adapter...the madness of it all. Thanks again!

John
    "Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it." - George Bernard Shaw
    "There is no conflict between liberty and safety. We will have both or neither." - Ramsey Clark
    "It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees." - Zapata
    "Billy Ray, get me mah pistol..." - Elvis Aaron Presley

RAMaroonie here too. Not likely Video card and XP incompatibility issues since 98 was tried.
    Had similar experience with 2k/ 98.
    Drinks are on Scorpioilya!!

PS N00b Doc is right NO SP4 for XP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk
    (See system inventory below)

OK, I had a GA-7VRXP board die, and take my 1800+ with it. Replaced with another Gigabyte board and a 2200+. Even after lowlevel format of the Western Digital 40G, I couldn't get WinXP to install. I'd get a BSOD right after "Setup is starting Windows". The error message was almost never the same...IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL was the most common, though. Tested the HD in another system and confirmed it was dying, couldn't be written to other than to format it. Replaced it with the Maxtor. Still no OS install, died at the same place in the same manner. I decided to try swapping out the Gigabyte board with the Abit, figuring I'd RMA the Gigabyte. Same deal. Tested the RAM with MemDOC and SimmTester, RAM checked out. Stripped the system down to mobo, processor, ram, video, case, and powersupply. Same problem. I checked the PS voltages, and all were within a few tenths of their appropriate values. I tried installing windows 98SE. The install went fine, but after a few reboots, I started getting a "Windows Protection Error", and could only boot in safe mode. Am I overlooking something simple? Could my case be the problem? Do I have a poltergeist? Am I losing my mind? HELP PLEASE!!!

Specs:

Abit NF7-S Mobo
    AMD Athlon 2200+
    BFG GeForceFX 5200 256MB
    512MB PNY Optima PC2700
    16x Liteon DVD-ROM
    32x Liteon CD/RW
    80GB Maxtor HD 7200RPM 8MB Cache
    350W Antec PS
    Patriot Battery Backup (Power only, no system connection)
    Recycled case from an old NEC GT300 (first commercial Athlon system)

Thanks,

John

Reset your cmos or remove disable everthing but video. Had 1 pc do this because of bad memory more then one do it because agp and number one pci share an irq.