Neomagic

Thread: Neomagic

Neomagic

I know that neomagic is an old video card with only 6mb.. But the problem im having occured after I installed xp.I got tired of the crashes that occured with win 98. So I installed xp after my hdd burned up from being on 24/7 for 3 years.
    So I upgraded to a 40 gb hd. Anyways the problem is that when I installed the newest directx version I noticed that there was a problem with the 3d acc. I have tried every driver out there. Some guy told me to modify the timeout key in the reg but I couldnt find it. I tried every driver out there but to no avail. It worked before on win 98. If not can I upgrade a vid card on a lap top?? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by MyexleX
    I know that neomagic is an old video card with only 6mb.. But the problem im having occured after I installed xp.I got tired of the crashes that occured with win 98. So I installed xp after my hdd burned up from being on 24/7 for 3 years.
    So I upgraded to a 40 gb hd. Anyways the problem is that when I installed the newest directx version I noticed that there was a problem with the 3d acc. I have tried every driver out there. Some guy told me to modify the timeout key in the reg but I couldnt find it. I tried every driver out there but to no avail. It worked before on win 98. If not can I upgrade a vid card on a lap top?? Thank you
    You can try 3rd party drivers here: http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/neo.html
    BTW: what problem did you notice with 3d acc? And what model is the laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Shooter
    You can try 3rd party drivers here: http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/neo.html
    BTW: what problem did you notice with 3d acc? And what model is the laptop?

It say that the 3d acc does not function. But my card is capable of 3d play.

3d acc does not function ?

Won't run the dx diags ? its path is c:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe if you can't find it via a menu ..

Ok non of the xp drivers for the card worked, so I dl'd a win2k driver and it worked. The only thing is now that it says it failed on step 8, this is the error it gives me "Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x88760827 (error code)" I already went to windows support and tried checking the code but it doesnt appear anywhere. can you help me out?

Well yeah ... ain't it blindingly obvious ? It doesn't think its a 3d device. Least ways the driver you've given it hasn't 'convinced' direct x (so your driver is 'good enough' for windows but not for 3d - least ways not for directx to use)

Is all this kit on the xp HCL ? You had it 'good' under 98 ...but 'ever' under xp ? If it worked with dx 'earlier' (since you don't say which) go back to that ...

Can you upgrade the video in a laptop - yeah maybe, but depends on model, the older & cheaper the less chance you have of being able - its still less usual to be able to than not . Mostly they are integrated but top end stuff lets you swap maybe ...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Well yeah ... ain't it blindingly obvious ? It doesn't think its a 3d device. Least ways the driver you've given it hasn't 'convinced' direct x (so your driver is 'good enough' for windows but not for 3d - least ways not for directx to use)

Is all this kit on the xp HCL ? You had it 'good' under 98 ...but 'ever' under xp ? If it worked with dx 'earlier' (since you don't say which) go back to that ...

Can you upgrade the video in a laptop - yeah maybe, but depends on model, the older & cheaper the less chance you have of being able - its still less usual to be able to than not . Mostly they are integrated but top end stuff lets you swap maybe ...

The model of the laptop is a vaio xg28/. Its old but deginately not cheap, I paid about $3200 american for it. But Im guessing that it is intergraded since it only has 6 mb. Also I ran the test and it worked untill it got to the 9 interface test thats when it posted the error.

Before we go further ... go read my other post on your other thread & make sure this beast can pass the hcl for xp (there's a link on that one!)

I think you may be SOL for your upgrade option of the video ... the googling I've done says onboard for the video - but I can't find a product sheet to be 100% at sony ! (what a surprise ! )

I'm fairly sure you are gonna find this machine isn't really capable of running xp 'correctly' - you might have to accept its only 'good' for 9x ..

(all that all singing all dancing stuff only applies where the machine is 100% compliant ! The magic words are 'designed for xp' which this don't look to be at all )

a little short cut just click on start then run then type dxdiag saves you from going through explorer to find it