How to identify and unknown USB device (CF reader, Win98)?

Thread: How to identify and unknown USB device (CF reader, Win98)?

How to identify and unknown USB device (CF reader, Win98)?

Hi folks,
    having gone through a couple of threads here, I can see there are pretty experienced people on board, and very helpful as well.

Ok - here's a challenge: I have bought, while travelling in the US, a USB CF-card reader. At the time, I was only using XP and thus didn't bother much about the CD, since the reader was recognised under XP and worked without any problem there.

Now I need to use it under Win98 and guess what: I don't have the CD anymore ... What makes it worse is that there is no indication whatsoever of who the producer could be. Nor a number - strictly nothing on the device. XP also doesn't indicate a specification, using the MS drivers.

Doing a google pictures search, I actually found a picture that pretty much resembles my reader (except for the printing on top). Problem is that the corresponding site is in Czech and I couldn't identify a download section there. Here's the link to the pic:
    http://www.3kfoto.cz/popisy/Card_reader_CF.jpg

Now what do to? Unless a friendly reader here has by chance the same model (and kept the CD) - how could I identify the make of this little bugger? Do you know of a program that identifies computer components or periphery?

I have already tried a couple of drivers from other sites for CF-readers that bore some similarity to mine, but no joy. In the worst case, installing these drivers screwed up my Win98 installation, as other USB components wouldn't work anymore. Nevermind, I have a good HDD image and thus can return to scratch easily, so I'm willing to experiment if that's what it takes.

All advice very welcome and thanx in advance!
    Chris

might give a try to the Atec card reader driver loacted here:

http://www.a-tecsubsystem.com/download.asp
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Hey - this worked!

Thanks a lot!

Was it a guess, or did u recognise the model?

pretty much a guess..but the pic you posted had an atec logo on the top, so thought it was worth a try
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

You have good eyes!

I hadn't recognised this, but even if I had, I didn't know this producer.

Thanks again, and have a nice week-end!
    Chris