tower power

Thread: tower power

Unhappy tower power

hello been awhile ince i have been in. my fiancee in the uk is having problems again. she is getting power to the tower becos the monitor is on. but the tower itself is not coming on. she tied it agaian a little later and in did power up enuff to make some noise but she turned iy off again cos she is afraid she had fried it. my question is it possible that it is jsu hot. cos sh has it on 24/7 and it is 5 years old.

ty
    pappabear

It sounds like you've got some fairly serious hardware issues with the computer. Just because your monitor is getting power is no indication of power to the computer. If it will intermittantly power on (the computer, not the monitor) then the first thing I would check would be the fans, then the power supply. With the case off, when you power the system on, if one of the fans (CPU fan and/or power supply fan) doesn't spin, that's a Bad Thing(tm). If your fans spin up okay, try using a different power supply to see if that has any effect. Luck to thee.
    Perseverance in all matters.

Running the computer 24/7 makes no difference at all. Mine has been running non stop a long time.
    Now as to whether it is heat opr not is hard to tell. The fans may well have quit as
    Percy was indicating for you to test. If the cpu fan is quit then it definetly could be overheated and burnt
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    Running the computer 24/7 makes no difference at all. Mine has been running non stop a long time.
    Pah ! .. 24/7 operation makes it much more likely to be dust clogged or make fans fail from fair ware & tear, most of them are rated for about 10,000 hrs continuous operation, which is about 1 & a bit years..

As said open the case & see that the cpu fan is running & not all gummed up (with dust)..

But if its five years old anything could have failed by now .. leaky caps on the motherboard, hard disk failure, the symptoms are very 'light' to say the least .. time to go visit your 'loved one' & find out !