Ethernet Controller help

Thread: Ethernet Controller help

Ethernet Controller help

I am having trouble connecting to the internet via Cable Modem.
    I think part of the problem is under device manager it says theres no driver installed for it , it says the same about the multimedia audio controller, the SM Bus controller and USB controller

Please help

Thank you

Welcome to Windrivers Gab07. I replied to your other thread. Cable modems are attached to the ethernet card. Are you saying you have no network cards listed in device manager?

As to the other devices, look at your other thread. All the info can be got with the link I gave.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    ...Cable modems are attached to the ethernet card. Are you saying you have no network cards listed in device manager?
    I am having exactly the same problem. The only network adapter listed is a "1394 Net Adapter". Sounds like my IBM laptop is trying to use teh ethernet port for my LAN connection? Being new to Windows machines i am learning as I go. I downlowded the drivers for my ethernet adapter. When I followed the install instructions I discovered that i have no devices listed in Network Adapters (besides the 1394 device)

I am also missing the SM Bus, Video, PCI Modem, USB controllers as well.

It has taken me an entire day to get this far.

Any help would be hugely appreciated

(Additional info: Windows XP, IBM ThinkPad R40 series. Japanese model with newly installed English OS.... this may well be a cause of my problems)
    Last edited by dblife; April 4th, 2004 at 02:49 AM.

if you guys have items in the device manager with splats write down what it says is not installed if your system was by a manufacturer you should be able to go to their website to see the configuration of your system to know what driver you will need some systems also come with utility/drivers cds or a resource cd these often contain drivers for your systems and often instructions for installation if you do not have either of these for reference power down your machine and remove the card in question and look for the fcc id on the card write it down and the manufacturer if you can see it then the chipset off the larger chip that is not your processor and the motherboard manufacturer if you can find it for any updated/non windows system drivers if you have usb 2 then you may have to update the bios on your mb also before you can get updated drivers to install sometimed updated drivers come with ms service packs usually you can put the fccid in google and come up with some valid driver options try to get them from manufacurer/prime sites if possible in xp to install printer/get them to install correctly sometimes you have to remove the usb devices and root hub in safe mode when windows xp restarts it should install the drivers correctly

Quote Originally Posted by dblife
    I am having exactly the same problem. The only network adapter listed is a "1394 Net Adapter". Sounds like my IBM laptop is trying to use teh ethernet port for my LAN connection? Being new to Windows machines i am learning as I go. I downlowded the drivers for my ethernet adapter. When I followed the install instructions I discovered that i have no devices listed in Network Adapters (besides the 1394 device)

I am also missing the SM Bus, Video, PCI Modem, USB controllers as well.

It has taken me an entire day to get this far.

Any help would be hugely appreciated

(Additional info: Windows XP, IBM ThinkPad R40 series. Japanese model with newly installed English OS.... this may well be a cause of my problems)

usually the ethernet card is the network card the connection with two leds one green one amber on it unless you are trying to connect wirelessly which would be helpful if you tell us

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard
    usually the ethernet card is the network card the connection with two leds one green one amber on it unless you are trying to connect wirelessly which would be helpful if you tell us
    I am trying to connect via cable to my Linksys router. When i plug the LAN cable into the ethernet port the little green LED lights up. The best I can tell is that my laptop doesnt even know that the ethernet card is there. It certainly is not in the device list.

Quote Originally Posted by gab07
    I am having trouble connecting to the internet via Cable Modem.
    I think part of the problem is under device manager it says theres no driver installed for it , it says the same about the multimedia audio controller, the SM Bus controller and USB controller

Please help

Thank you
    gfab07 anf dblife are these new systems? And also "welcome to windrivers"
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

Hi,

Mine is 2 days old, however I have version 2002 of XP. I bought a Japanese model IBM ThinkPad (I live in japan). And used an old XP disk that I had to install the English OS.

Quote Originally Posted by dblife
    Hi,

Mine is 2 days old, however I have version 2002 of XP. I bought a Japanese model IBM ThinkPad (I live in japan). And used an old XP disk that I had to install the English OS.
    You probably need some drivers that are unique to your thinkpad. Go to Ibm and see if there are not some drivers ther for the affected parts. Alternatively you can probably get the installation cd sent to you for a small fee, Go to IBM and look!
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich
    You probably need some drivers that are unique to your thinkpad.
    I have spent the last 8 hours searching the IBM site and can certainly find drivers but they cant be installed on the device because the Device Manager doesnt even list the device (LAN card).

I have also spent a fair bit of time trying to find a way to email IBM for support. i am yet to find it but I am sure that I will.

Thank you for all input so far.

DBlife, you have your logic the wrong way round, things appear in device manager when they have been installed. You will see ! or ? or unknown devices which means they have not been installed.

1394 (firewire) apart from the ability to transfer files, do digital video capture, 1394 can also be used as a network card, hence why it shows as a nic.

What is the 7 digit model number for you laptop?

this is available as a complete driver installer from IBM for the R40.

I selected it from one of 52 availabe downloads for XP for an R40.

No clue where you were looking!
    Last edited by NooNoo; April 4th, 2004 at 07:46 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Smile

It is quite likley that my logic is back to front. Hoping to get it all worked out soon

I have a Think Pad R40 model number 2681 KJ3 (I hope this is the 7 digit number you are after).

cheers
    db

I indeed have accessed some of those drivers already. When I was installing them I was required select the device for which I wanted to update the driver. However, the device (ethernet LAN adapter) did not appear in the device manager thus I do not know how I install the driver. It is probably pretty obvious that I am confused. This is only my second day working with a PC at this level.

Thumbs up

How simple was that!!

After you last post I took a breath and thought about the installers/updaters that i had got from IBM. I wont bore with details, but I was not doing it right.... I thought extracting was the same as installing (oops).

Everything works and I appreciate the gentle nudge.

cheers
    db