Need help with a PIV processor - which mother board to choose?

Thread: Need help with a PIV processor - which mother board to choose?

Need help with a PIV processor - which mother board to choose?

I have laying around a P4 1.7GHz processor. Looking to upgrade one off my older PC's with this processor. Can you let me know which budget boards would be suitable for this upgrade?? This is a brand new processor never installed yet.... also, what size power supply is needed. Currently there is a 200W in the tower. This is running a P3 866MHz.

Thanks....
    Last edited by babylou; April 2nd, 2004 at 05:01 PM.
    thanks.... babylou

I can't remember off hand, but I think 1.7's were all 478 pins, so any p4 with 478 pin socket is fine.

Powersupplies, depends on two things, what you hang off of it apart from the processor and how good it is at supplying the voltage without spikes or dips. Rule of thumb 350watt enermax or antec - don't get a cheapie unless you have no other choice.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I can't remember off hand, but I think 1.7's were all 478 pins, so any p4 with 478 pin socket is fine.

Powersupplies, depends on two things, what you hang off of it apart from the processor and how good it is at supplying the voltage without spikes or dips. Rule of thumb 350watt enermax or antec - don't get a cheapie unless you have no other choice.
    There was a Socket 423 1.7 as well.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Dammit, so first thing, which p4 do you have?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Well to keep the fun going...wasn't the P4 1.7GHz the last of the Willamette Core's? Or was it the first of the Northwoods? Darn old C-Nile.

Anyhoo any of the 400 FSB motherboards should fit your needs. If it is indeed a 478 Pin P4 I would think the Gigabyte GA-8VT800-L would fit the bill nicely. It supports the 400 FSB processors and is upgradable to the 800 FSB Northwoods. You can probably pick one up in the $50-$60 range. I also just helped a fella up here at work set up a ASRock P4S61 PC. I've never used ASRock, but I understand they're related to ASUS and the board really seems to be pretty darn nice. Uses the SiS661 FX chipset. I know Doc deals with the ASRocks and has said some good things about them.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Kong
    Well to keep the fun going...wasn't the P4 1.7GHz the last of the Willamette Core's? Or was it the first of the Northwoods? Darn old C-Nile.

Anyhoo any of the 400 FSB motherboards should fit your needs. If it is indeed a 478 Pin P4 I would think the Gigabyte GA-8VT800-L would fit the bill nicely. It supports the 400 FSB processors and is upgradable to the 800 FSB Northwoods. You can probably pick one up in the $50-$60 range. I also just helped a fella up here at work set up a ASRock P4S61 PC. I've never used ASRock, but I understand they're related to ASUS and the board really seems to be pretty darn nice. Uses the SiS661 FX chipset. I know Doc deals with the ASRocks and has said some good things about them.
    Yup, great economy boards.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

details on processor

P4 1.7 GHz.
    Bus: 400MHz
    256 KB L2 Cache
    PGA-478 (478 Pin)

I have not read all the post. But greatly appreciate the feedback.
    thanks.... babylou

memory for GB boards

Looking into the GB boards. Do any of these take the older sdram memory?? Seems they all ahve DDr 2100 or above... what about the asus boards?? Do these take any of the older style memory. Reason is, just an economy system for basic computing. No need to dump money in for RAM as well if not really needed?? thanks.
    thanks.... babylou

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Asus P4SGX-MX accepts both DDR and PC100/133 RAM.

The Soyo SY-P4VGA supports both too.
    Last edited by Major Kong; April 9th, 2004 at 12:04 PM.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.