Domains and workgroups, how to set up
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Domains and workgroups, how to set up

Domains and workgroups, how to set up

My client has just installed a new Windows 2003 server, how do I set it up to access the workgroup that has all the other machines on it ( a mix of XP and Windows 2000 boxes).

Currently the 2003 machine shows in Network Neighbourhood as a separate group (domain?). None of those machines can see the new server in Network Neighbourhood, just the other machines in their workgroup.

I am new to this server stuff so forgive me if this is a basic question that I should know. I tried to find the answer in the help topics but am now more confused than before.

Bob start by renaming the system to the same as your workgroup by right clicking My Computer and selecting Properties. Then select the computer name tab and then the change button to rename the system or join a workgroup. After that check your tcp/ip settings and set those to match your network configuration. Goto Network Places right click select properties then select Lan Connection right click and properties select internet protocol [tcp/ip] properties. Hope this helps and isnt to confusing.
    Can't never did anything except whine about what he couldn't do.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.northernaurora.com/page/index.html
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html Free Chat

Nunob,

Thanks for the reply!

I tried to do that but the machine seems to be set up as a domain server and as a consequence I can not use the properties window to join a workgroup as that option is grayed out.

How do I get that option to activate? Do I need to remove it as a domain server some how?

The TCP/IP connection seems to be working as I can access the internet with no problems.

When I go to Network Neighbourhood I see two items, the new 2003 server in one group and the other workgroup that has all the other machines. I want to get this machine into that other group and the properties tab won't let me.

The client really only needs peer to peer protocols with this 2003 server box acting as a file server/repository of common files used by the client machines. They really do not have any "server" applications to speak of.

Hope that makes sense.

Who set it up as a domain controller?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

if it's a domain controller you should be able to run dcpromo and remove it as a domain controller. then join it to the workgroup.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    if it's a domain controller you should be able to run dcpromo and remove it as a domain controller. then join it to the workgroup.
    I think it's safe to say that you need an outside consultant to set this up. And whoever installed it without giving you a viable enviornment should be sued!

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I think it's safe to say that you need an outside consultant to set this up. And whoever installed it without giving you a viable enviornment should be sued!
    true, but dcpromo is the actual answer to the question though right?

You stick to your advise, and I will stick to mine...

I think the client was messing around and "accidentally" set it as a domain controller (since he paid for the machine and demanded the password it is kinda hard to keep him out of it).

I'll try dcpromo and see what happens.

Thanks for the quick replies!!

Oh...you are the outside consultant. My bad. DCPromo is your ticket out’a this mess for the short term. But then you need to determine what is the best method of upgrading the environment. A domain will be a much better solution. Requires just a little bit more setup time then a workgroup, but once it's up and running smooth, it becomes much easier to manage...

Also, is this Windows Server 2003, or Windows Small Business Server 2003?

And your answer is only partly right. Yes, to get the server into the existing workgroup he's got to demote it. But is that the best solution here???

And your answer is only partly right. Yes, to get the server into the existing workgroup he's got to demote it. But is that the best solution here???
    that wasn't the question though was it? the question was/is how does he get this thing out of it's own domain and into the workgroup. the answer is . . . . drum roll please . . . . DCPROMO.

as far as what is best .. . . . well it's hard to say. what is best for you or me, may well be to just join the other computers to that domain and run an active directory domain.. . . . but since he doesn't know what DCPROMO is or does . . . . than how easy is domain management really going to be??? this may well be the best solution for this PARTICULAR problem. I wouldn't reccomend anyone setup a domain in a production enviroment with no windows server or active directory experience, and sincehe describes the servers function with this quote
    a file server/repository of common files used by the client machines. They really do not have any "server" applications to speak of.
    then the BEST solution might be one of those cheap little NAS servers like this
    Last edited by kato2274; April 14th, 2004 at 07:52 AM.

that wasn't the question though was it? the question was/is how does he get this thing out of it's own domain and into the workgroup. the answer is . . . . drum roll please . . . . DCPROMO.

as far as what is best .. . . . well it's hard to say. what is best for you or me, may well be to just join the other computers to that domain and run an active directory domain.. . . . but since he doesn't know what DCPROMO is or does . . . . than how easy is domain management really going to be??? this may well be the best solution for this PARTICULAR problem. I wouldn't reccomend anyone setup a domain in a production enviroment with no windows server or active directory experience, and sincehe describes the servers function with this quote then the BEST solution might be one of those cheap little NAS servers like this
    As an outside consultant, he needs to know what is best for this client, and part of that is knowing the products in order to make a sound judgment call. If he doesn't know any flavor of 2000/2003 server in an AD environment, then he needs to learn. Because if he decides to remain a workgroup simply because it is easier for him to understand (being that he doesn’t know AD) that isn’t a sound decision with the best interest of the client in mind. In the mean time, referring the client to a reputable firm sounds like the honorable thing to do, that was why I suggested it before.

As an outside consultant, he needs to know what is best for this client, and part of that is knowing the products in order to make a sound judgment call. If he doesn't know any flavor of 2000/2003 server in an AD environment, then he needs to learn.
    but not in their production enviroment

Because if he decides to remain a workgroup simply because it is easier for him to understand (being that he doesn’t know AD) that isn’t a sound decision with the best interest of the client in mind.
    there is no way you can know this. not everyone NEEDS a domain. case in point. my family runs a small business and uses proprietary business software which has it's own client and server applications. that program is all they pretty much use aside from a bit of MS office stuff. for them a domain is absolutely pointless. they have no need for it. A 2k server running DHCP, the proprietary server app, terminal services and doing simple file sharing is the best route for them. we even explored linux options sharing the database files via samba.. . . . an active directory domain is not always in the best interests of a client. . . it's silly to even assume that.

plus I wouldn't reccomend anyone run a production domain with only one domain controller, gotta have at least 2