RE SIS 5598 integrated video

Thread: RE SIS 5598 integrated video

RE SIS 5598 integrated video

Hey Guys I am trying to reformat an old system ( I do this all the time) but this
    one has me stumped. Its a Soyo SY-5STM main board with the SIS 5598 chipset. I have gone to Soyo and downloaded all the drivers they have listed for this board. They do not offer any video drivers, so I go to driver guild and find all kinds of drivers for this chipset with the same results. The problem I am having is after resetting the resolution and color depth all I get is the BSOD. There are no hardware conflicks . I am at my whits end. Any help would be greatly apperciated.
    Last edited by szabados; January 8th, 2004 at 03:00 PM. Reason: clicked the wrong button originally

Question

hey thanks for putting up such a quick response. I tried those drivers and found I had already downloaded them a couple of times. Needless to say they had the same result. I forgot to let you know that I was installing win98SE. I also noted one other thing, the audio drivers I downloaded from SOYO don't work either. I am working on the premise that this is a SOYO board based on the model number and the picture they have for it on the SOYO site. But there are no brand marks on the board. I want to throw it on the scrap heap but it is not mine.

Is it possible that windows needs drivers for my monitor to escape the BSOD?it is setup as a plug and play monitor.

What is the exact bsod message?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Lightbulb

the exact message is : a fatal excepton has occurred at 0337:00005603
    any ideas what this refers to? Thanks for taking the time to help

Quote Originally Posted by szabados
    the exact message is : a fatal excepton has occurred at 0337:00005603
    any ideas what this refers to? Thanks for taking the time to help
    It mentions no file names at all? no other references? Just that number?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hey Guys I am trying to reformat an old system ( I do this all the time) but this
    one has me stumped. Its a Soyo SY-5STM main board with the SIS 5598 chipset. I have gone to Soyo and downloaded all the drivers they have listed for this board. They do not offer any video drivers, so I go to driver guild and find all kinds of drivers for this chipset with the same results. The problem I am having is after resetting the resolution and color depth all I get is the BSOD. There are no hardware conflicks . I am at my whits end. Any help would be greatly apperciated.
    I saw a driver by that discription on site I searched myself.
    I did search for SIS.com monitor drivers

hey thanks for putting up such a quick response. I tried those drivers and found I had already downloaded them a couple of times. Needless to say they had the same result. I forgot to let you know that I was installing win98SE. I also noted one other thing, the audio drivers I downloaded from SOYO don't work either. I am working on the premise that this is a SOYO board based on the model number and the picture they have for it on the SOYO site. But there are no brand marks on the board. I want to throw it on the scrap heap but it is not mine.

Is it possible that windows needs drivers for my monitor to escape the BSOD?it is setup as a plug and play monitor.
    I would say yes. I do a new hardware search in windows then if it doesn't pick up the monitor I go to Windows update.

You want video drivers, not monitor drivers. Here are the reference drivers for the SiS5598 chip for Win98SE: http://driver2.sis.com/graphic/igp/5..._113_win98.zip

I had a Matsonic board with the same set-up. There used to be a bios-overlay file that needed to be run to prevent lock-ups and blue screens in Win98, but I can no longer find it (apparently support has dried up).

The best thing for that type of motherboard is to disable the onboard video in BIOS and install an inexpensive PCI video card. If you still get a second "VGA video adapter" showing up, just disable it in Device Manager and it shouldn't give you any trouble (that's how it worked for me). The system will be more stable (and so will you! )

Szabados: Check this site and see if the motherboard matches up, that TSR file is available here (along with the manual, BIOS and other files): http://m571.com/m571/
    Check the links if what you need isn't on this specific page.
    Last edited by Zerotech; April 26th, 2004 at 10:40 PM.
    When all else fails.....FDISK!