popups in XP???????

Thread: popups in XP???????

popups in XP???????

Whenever i try to access 'regedit' or 'msconfig' the windows appear then for a second and then disappear, can never enter the windows........how to make them stay open? Someone adviced to type 'cmd' or 'command' in front of regedit or msconfig, but then a DOS-window opens, don't know how to solve this matter.

well you shouldn't able to access msconfig with xp in the first place from what i understand, but what happens when you enter in other commands? like 'taskman' or have you tried hitting ctrl+alt+del? if it pops up and closes in those instances as well you've got a virus. i had one that did the same thing not too long ago. i ran avg and it zapped the the little bugger
    Last edited by rewep; April 28th, 2004 at 06:28 AM.
    Choose your future,
    Choose to sysadmin.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Maybe a virus? Try going into safe mode (press f8 when window starts) and see if you can get to msconfig.

when i try to run msconfig in xp it says this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. please contract your system administrator.... bu ti'm the only one who used this computer, making me by default the administrator :\
    Choose your future,
    Choose to sysadmin.

Not nessesarily so.If your not logged on with admin rights you will get that error message.

hmph.. it says i'm an admin in the user profiles thing and i can do EVERYTHING else.. i just can't run that.. blah.. i hate xp.. one of these days i'll bother to actually lern it, but until then i'm stuck being a complete idiot nub
    Choose your future,
    Choose to sysadmin.

And you should never log in as Admin anyway, even if you are the sole User of this system. You should create a new User and make that User an Admin equivalent.

You may want to go here and read through a few tips:
    174 Windows tips
    If speed kills, then I'm already dead

Try logging off from your present user and log on using Administrator and your Admin password as you may have a local security policy incorrectly set somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by rewep
    well you shouldn't able to access msconfig with xp in the first place from what i understand, but what happens when you enter in other commands? like 'taskman' or have you tried hitting ctrl+alt+del? if it pops up and closes in those instances as well you've got a virus. i had one that did the same thing not too long ago. i ran avg and it zapped the the little bugger

why can't you access it in XP? works on all the computers I have here.

Try it in safe mode, and if it still doesn't open..after doing an online virus scan..try running the system file check from the start menu..

start/run/
    type in
    command
    hit enter
    when command propmt opens, type in
    sfc /scannow
    and hit enter
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

yep it seems to happen when pressing 'ctrl/alt/delete' also.........ok a virus, but why won't norton recognise it then? i'm completed updated....in case of that online scan, someone has a link to to this, i'm not familiar actually with that. tanx all.

Quote Originally Posted by stompinne
    yep it seems to happen when pressing 'ctrl/alt/delete' also.........ok a virus, but why won't norton recognise it then? i'm completed updated....in case of that online scan, someone has a link to to this, i'm not familiar actually with that. tanx all.
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

is the link..however it doesn't necessarily mean that you have a virus when this happens. You could have system files being corrupted for a number of reasons. There are viruses that will do this, and there are trojans that aren't detected by antivirus programs that will do this. (trojan horse programs are not, strictly speaking, viruses..because they do not spread by themselves)
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."