question about scandisk

Thread: question about scandisk

Question question about scandisk

It seems to keep starting over many times and it takes forever to scan the hard drive. I understand that something is writing to the hard drive at the same time but my question is what is it? I don't have anti-virus or any other software running that I know about. Is there no way to speed the process a little faster?

Quote Originally Posted by cable
    It seems to keep starting over many times and it takes forever to scan the hard drive. I understand that something is writing to the hard drive at the same time but my question is what is it? I don't have anti-virus or any other software running that I know about. Is there no way to speed the process a little faster?
    It has to do with almost "anything" working in the background. Turn off AV, screensaver: everything...or just do it from a dos prompt. Ctl at boot up for the startup menu and choose "command prompt only", then c:\scandisk.
    Alternative: ctl/alt/delete and end every task but explorer and systray. Then run it.

You could also try booting into Safe Mode. This prevents any and all unnecesarry drivers and/or programs from loading. Turn off any screensavers you might have running. Then run your ScanDisk set to Standard and Automatically Fix Errors. If you haven't done this to completion in a while, it may take some time to complete...possibly up to an hour depending on your disk size, CPU specs, etc.
    Once this completes, then run Defrag. Again, it may take up to an hour if you haven't done this in a while.
    Then, reboot normally. You should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ
    You could also try booting into Safe Mode. This prevents any and all unnecesarry drivers and/or programs from loading. Turn off any screensavers you might have running. Then run your ScanDisk set to Standard and Automatically Fix Errors. If you haven't done this to completion in a while, it may take some time to complete...possibly up to an hour depending on your disk size, CPU specs, etc.
    Once this completes, then run Defrag. Again, it may take up to an hour if you haven't done this in a while.
    Then, reboot normally. You should be good to go.
    An hour??? More like: start when you go to bed and hope it's done when you wake in the morning.Yeah, I forgot the safe mode option.