memeroy

Thread: memeroy

Question memeroy

Why is my win 98 machine going down on memory as I use it. As long as I say away from using 3 or 4 programs the resource meter reads in the 80-88 range but work on word and be on the net the meter soon shows a steady decrease.

System :
    p2-333
    128 ram (its 100 on a 66 lx board)
    8 meg video
    8.4 gig hdd

Any suggestions
    YOU can't HANDLE the TRUTH!!!

You're not just looking at free physical memory are you? Win98 uses quite an aggressive disk cache when you have had alot of files open. I'd suggest using System Monitor and adding the following sensors: Unused Physical Memory, Disk Cache Size, Swap File Size and Swap File in use. (Go to edit and add item and choose these from the Memory Manager category) That will give you a better picture of what is going on. If the disk cache size added to the amount of free physical RAM taking into account what windows would normally use doesn't add up to how much RAM you have (roughly...remember windows keeps some modules in RAM even after you close programs...it should unload them if it needs to free up resources) then there is a chance that some of your programs are exhibiting "memory leak behavior". If it's just the disk cache, windows will free that up as needed. Try opening a very large program or a very memory intensive operation and watch the fireworks in system monitor, you'll be able to tell if it's managing things correctly.

Oh, and I'll add to this: I just opened resource meter and this is what I see: System Resources 75 % User resources 75% and GDI resources 84 % Free. That is only with IE5 open and a few programs running in the background (ICQ is among them). I have 128 Mb RAM. Also, I haven't even been booted up all that long...maybe an hour.

Grogan

[This message has been edited by Grogan (edited September 22, 1999).]

I wouldn't worry about it, if your in the 70 -80% range of system resources.
    I'm at 63% right now, and my system is running good. Specs are:
    PIII 550 Mhz
    384MB PC-100
    16MB Video
    56K Modem
    2 - 10GB Hard Drives
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

Thanks for your input, If I do have a problem with Ram as in a sudden reboot Would I be able to test it is there a voltage reading or is there a ohm's reading I can take on the stick. I do have one more stick so until I heard from people I will try this
    YOU can't HANDLE the TRUTH!!!