IE5 - Favorites

Thread: IE5 - Favorites

Angry IE5 - Favorites

Has anyone any idea why my Favorites folder is no longer a folder but has turned into a 'file'?
    I can no longer access it or save to it.
    Layor.

----------------

"My card, sir!"
    "But it's blank!"
    "Business is bad!"

Check the folder Options in My computer first.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Angry

Do you mean C:\windows\options? That just has:Cabs/Ols/Msn/Msnsetup/Compnts. Nothing there that looks as if it could be a Favorites folder.
    C:\windows has the History in the shape of a folder and Favorites as a file, i.e. a white rectangle with the windows motif.
    Is this of any use?
    Layor.

did you possibly export your favorites to a file?

if so, goto file import/export and import them back in
    Compaq sux!

Right click on your C drive and go to find on the drop down

Find *.url

you should be able to locate your favorites that way

you could always build another favorite and see where the system stores that, then combine the files.

I've found that it is good to "copy" here rather then drag and drop (right click while dragging) otherwise the new location "points" back to the old location, a problem when your exchanging machines.

Angry

Thanks for the suggestions!
    RRocky - I've checked the import/export files but nothing there. I've also been through nearly every other folder/file on the computer, but nothing. It's most probably flying around in the ether somewhere totally lost and complaining that nobody loves it!!!
    SMITTY42 - Tried your *.url suggestion nothing there!
    I have tried to make another Favorites folder but it will not allow me to name it 'Favorites'. Also if I try and create another folder in the 'Organize' I get the message 'error 338'.
    One other thing, I have also tried to reinstall IE5 but the Favorites still remains as a file icon, although I have not yet uninstalled IE5 and reinstalled it.
    All your help is very much appreciated, thank you,
    Layor.

goto control panel add/remove progs, click remove button on internet explorer, then select repair, if that doesn't work reboot to dos mode
    run:
    md c:\windows\favorites
    Compaq sux!

I've tried a suggestion fron the msn it said to look at the registers. I found that 'Favorites' was missing in one of the registers and although I created a new key and manage to create a new 'Favorites' folder I still have the shell extention file, no way to get rid of it, as when I try I get the message 'this is a systems file and cannot be deleted' or words to that effect, and no way to save pages. Oh well, looks like I'll have to try uninstalling ie5.5 and re-installing it again!!!
    Thanks to all for your help anyway, all the best,
    Layor

Talking

Solved it!!
    Just a last message to let all know that I have now got the favorites back.
    I uninstalled IE5.5 then reinstalled IE4 from my Win95 disc, which replaced the favorites folder, then reinstalled IE5.5.
    Many thanks to all for suggestions!
    Layor.