Volume all the way up--sound is too LOW

Thread: Volume all the way up--sound is too LOW

Volume all the way up--sound is too LOW

Hi all--I have an optiplex GX 150 DELL, just reinstalled win 98 and everything is working fine, but when I play an audio file the sound is TOOOOOO low. Ive tried everything I think..all the basic stuff but still no luck. Ive tried different speakers, made sure it is in the right slot in that back of the pC, etc etc. Currently listening to a music CD and the volume on every control is all the way up and it sounds like it is at a level of 2 out of 10 volume control. I have a soundmax digital integrated sound card using Analog Devices AD1885 Integrated Audio. Any suggestions?

ALSO--why cant i adjust the treble and bass levels under volume control>stereo wide>Advance tab? Personally, ive never seen a PC that will allow you to do that. They are grayed out.

Welcome to Windrivers horns!
    Are the speakers powered?
    What are you using to listen to a cd?
    Have you tried headphones where the speaker is plugged in?
    Have you been to dell to see if there is a driver update?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Got the answer....
    Soundmax requires its speakers to be "powered" so I went out and bought a new set--works fine now...Good sound too.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers horns!
    Are the speakers powered?
    What are you using to listen to a cd?
    Have you tried headphones where the speaker is plugged in?
    Have you been to dell to see if there is a driver update?

I have a similiar problem.
    I have a SiS 7012 card, and have the most recent drivers.
    My speakers stopped working, so I decided to jack in my headphones, and with the volume all the way up, I have to have almost no noise to hear anything.

Does anyone know the problem?
    Do I need 'powered speakers' too?

Welcome to Windrivers TheManator

which socket did you plug your headphones into?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Power Speakers not needed in MOST cases!!

open your "Volume" settings by double clicking.

You should see Master volume or play control to the far left. Usually the far left volume control is the Master Volume bar and people turn that way up. Not alwasys Good.

If you listen to MP3s, you will need to turn up a 2nd slider.. More often called
    "Wave"; it's 2nd from the left. Move this up 50-75%, and if you listen to CDs, move that bar up also. I have noticed that people tha have volume problem have either "Wave or CD" at or near 0%, while the master is maxed out!!

Also just to make sure it isn't some other slider, move all of them up to the 50-75% range, higher or lower once you think you have figured it out.. Good luck...