Will HP recovery software delete my partitions?

Thread: Will HP recovery software delete my partitions?

Angry Will HP recovery software delete my partitions?

I am about to fully reinstall my XP. The problem is I have HP Pavilion (the last time I will ever invest in a HP) which was distributed without any original XP cd.
    Manual says it will delete ALL the files on the drive, but does this actually mean that it will just format C: or will it modify the partition table also (I have divided the original large into smaller ones)?

Rats. I could as well start distributing high-end PCs with "fully optimized Linux"es, actually meaning that only motd would be installed. Or I could sell cars without keys. If one would actually want to drive the car... It's a wonder this piece of * doesn't have any sort of self destruction procedure activating when user actually alters any settings.

High probability. Back up whatever you can't afford to lose, or get an xp cd.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal
    I am about to fully reinstall my XP. The problem is I have HP Pavilion (the last time I will ever invest in a HP) which was distributed without any original XP cd.
    Manual says it will delete ALL the files on the drive, but does this actually mean that it will just format C: or will it modify the partition table also (I have divided the original large into smaller ones)?

Rats. I could as well start distributing high-end PCs with "fully optimized Linux"es, actually meaning that only motd would be installed. Or I could sell cars without keys. If one would actually want to drive the car... It's a wonder this piece of * doesn't have any sort of self destruction procedure activating when user actually alters any settings.

I feel your pain. Listen to Smitty, alright? But, your "perspective" is refreshing to say the least.

Depending on the model of HP that you have when you enter the recovery mode:

You will have either a single enry for destructive recover ie. FORMAT

or you will have the option for a non-destructive recovery.

================================================== =========
    Most systems I have worked on have a utility to burn the CD's that you need for recovery. If your windows is working properly.

I agree with you
    Quote Originally Posted by parsifal
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]