Slow Network Only One Way

Thread: Slow Network Only One Way

Angry Slow Network Only One Way

I just reinstalled windows on one of the 3 computers. now the network did tranfer fine on all 3 computers before. But on the one i just reinstalled on it will transfer files to other computers at only 1 %. However i can retrieve files from other computers at 60 % no problem. I have all the computers running at 100 Full Duplex. With NetBIOS only enabled for the network. This is how it was set up before i reinstalled. The internet runs just the same as before too. It's just when someone trys to copy a file from my computer to theres it will only transfer at 1 %. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

ok i have narrowed it down a bit more it definitely is something on my computer limiting it (which is the computer with the fresh install) On any other computer i can send and retrieve files from the problem computer at full speed. So the problem is when i'm on the problem computer copying files from it to any other computer it is limited to 1 % throughput.

You used the phrase 'netbios' - so some freaky master browser issue ? (or are you running any other resolution system like wins or DNS? despite putting 'only netbios')

Is this network connected up to the outside world?

You stated that Duplexing is set at Full

Go into control panel and set duplexing for the all of the cards to Auto
    If the switch is a managed or semi managed type (Cisco Intel etc....) Set the port to Auto Duplexing also

BTW

Why are you using NETBIOS instead of TCP/IP?

It's been my experience that TCP/IP offers a much cleaner protocol for networking.
    Better control and troubleshooting.
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

confus-ed i am not running wins or DNS. And yes it is connected to the internet through a linksys wireless router. however the problem is with one off the wired computers.

gizmo1_1 it is already set to full autonegotiation.

If you tried auto with no luck have you tried some fixed speeds with duplex and full and half to see what happens?

If you've had top reload what was the problem in the first place and could it still be there?

Are you sure the driver is correct and not one of Microsofts generic drivers?

Never overlook the obvious, swap a patch cable over.

Have you installed anything new onto this reloaded PC, like a later anti virus sig file or some firewall software, (could it be xp sp2 with the firewall slowing things down?).
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

gazzak i have tried some fixed duplex speeds with no luck stays the same. i have the proper driver installed and tried a previous one still the same. Also the WinXP SP2 firewall is disabled (also no other firewall either) Since i reinstalled windows now a second time, before i installed anything the network setup wizard poped up and i cancelled it however under network connections Internet Gateway showed up not sure why. but the speed problem stayed the same as before. Anyway the only way i could get rid of this Internet Gateway was under optional networking components then networking services, getting rid od internet gateway device discovery and control clinet. However oddly enough this is enabled on the other wired computer. but does not show this internet gateway under Network Connections.

the only possible solution that i can come up with at this time is to switch the netwrok cable out of the first port on the router (not the internet port btw) just the first of 4 ports. it just seems as though my output is limited to 1mbps.... However at this moment i don't have access to the router. Any ideas??

Check on the network card properties, TCP/IP and check the metric... if its left to automatic, I've seen the PC convince itself that it's local network is 20 hops away.... go figure that one Mr Gates, change it to 1 and see if that improves anything.

Of course, it could just need an updated driver for the NIC or a replacement cable.....
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

Quote Originally Posted by djdicky
    confus-ed i am not running wins or DNS. And yes it is connected to the internet through a linksys wireless router...
    I can see where your issue is , but then you are using DNS if its joined up to the net ? (else how does netbios manage to resolve all them internet addresses ?)

I'm feeling very hung over this morning (despite only having had 3 pints early evening yesterday, I must be becoming a lightweight ! ) - so will somebody who's had sufficient caffeine please confirm that/ explain it better ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I can see where your issue is , but then you are using DNS if its joined up to the net ? (else how does netbios manage to resolve all them internet addresses ?)

I'm feeling very hung over this morning (despite only having had 3 pints early evening yesterday, I must be becoming a lightweight ! ) - so will somebody who's had sufficient caffeine please confirm that/ explain it better ... ?
    I've had no caffeine, and don't really know what you want me to explain....

Yep DNS of some sort must be running else the internet wouldn't work, the only way I can think it is working is the LinkSys is acting as some kind of DNS forwarder.... So reading through it looks like there is no server involved, and that the machines are just using NetBIOS to find each other?

What if you turn the tables, and try pulling/pushing files from one of the other computers to the rebuilt one? Does the speed increase then? Can you give us more details of the network setup?

P.S. as for you being a lightweight, I have to agree but it sounds like you can still manage 2 pints more than me and make it into work so well done!

As I can't engage brain sufficiently to explain this properly, just try unpluging the router from the net for a bit (& then it definately can't use any other resolution method at all) & see what happens ..

Have you got XP Pro with SP2? There is an issue with IP traffic after install, it might be one of your problems?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...on127121120120

Cool Fixed the Problem

Well i managed to fix it. I took some advice from gizmo1_1. Got rid of NetBIOS all together. As for the internet Gateway that was appearing in network connections i got rid of this by going to Advanced \ Optional Networking Components \ then under Networking Services got rid of Internet Gateway Device and then installed Peer-To-Peer. That seems to have solved all the problems. Anyways it runs great now, and thanks to all for the great advice. BTW corturbra i took your advice and changed the automatic metric setting to 1. It was a great tip however it didn't change anything in this situation. So thanks again everyone !!