Bios password help-Dell Cpi A400xt

Thread: Bios password help-Dell Cpi A400xt

Bios password help-Dell Cpi A400xt

I am currently working on a system that really knows how to push my buttons. The system came to me with intermittent freezes, crashes, you name it. I thought the easiest thing to do is to re-format the drive. Bad idea, it turns out that I can't do that because the BIOS is set up to only recognize the hard drive on power up, and it's password protected. The system is a dell latitude cpi a400xt laptop running windows 2000. So, the next logical step was to pull the battery out of the beast and let it sit for a day and re-try configuring the BIOS hoping that the password is reset. Bad idea again, I partially opened up the laptop, and can't seem to open it any further without damaging it, but I don't see the battery!

[THINKING OUT LOUD-It has to be here somewhere.]

Am I missing something here? I've tried using the backdoor password: phoenix, with no luck. Also tried, CMOS, BIOS, and bios, even PHOENIX, but that didn't work either. Any help will definetily be appreciated.

P.S.-current bios version is A15.
    user: "I'm having problems settting up my laptop. Can u help me?"
    me: "Sure, no problem"
    user: "Ok, let me open the box up"

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Wow, talk about a god send! I am at the first page of Dismantling that dell laptop. Incredible detail on that website, hope I don't screw anything up. Thanks NooNoo, I'll let you know how it goes.

P.S., not where, but how did you find that site?
    user: "I'm having problems settting up my laptop. Can u help me?"
    me: "Sure, no problem"
    user: "Ok, let me open the box up"

Google as usual How? Well, dell bios password remove and wander through the few thousand hits. Wandered through a couple of sites, some I already knew and could discount, then there was this little thread on experts exchange - near the bottom was a link, follow that link and bobs yer uncle!

Some of my searches involve up to 10 google pages open, cross referencing and redefining the search terms....and then the phone rings and you lose track of what you were hunting down
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Lightbulb

You could try a little program called " kill cmos " . It resets the cmos to default settings, and removes the bios protection . I can send you a copy via email , if you want it . However , your anti-virus will light up the next time you scan your system .
    there will be plenty of time to sleep after I'm dead....

Originally posted by QPAVL
    You could try a little program called " kill cmos " . It resets the cmos to default settings, and removes the bios protection . I can send you a copy via email , if you want it . However , your anti-virus will light up the next time you scan your system .

Won't work.....the password is on a seperate chip.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

DON"T TAKE IT APART YET....

I've got a Dell utility that will wipe that chip. I can e-mail it to you...

Can you not register the lappie as resold to you ? Then stupid Dell support can provide you with the info ... supposedly you just need a bill of sale, but last time I ended up with a meccano kit & did the paperclip trick, as they weren't having any as the original owner had never registered it

If there is any 'master' utility to wipe these I'd love to know ... but as far as I know there's a big list of passwords generated from the serial number ? & they release the appropriate one once you've demonstrated that you didn't mug anyone for it !!

Err umm tried the 'debug method ' (mentioned on the second link Noo posted - is that code right? - there's a thread somewhere at WD with the 'correct' bios reset code if you can find it) ? I've had success with that before, but maybe not one with this particular backup chip arrangement...

The CMOS battery is inside the palmrest.

If you go to dells web site, you can download the service manual (enter the service tag).

Somme latitudes, this is the order of disassembly: Remove Keyboard. Loosen display. Remove Hard drive. Remove Palmrest.

The CMOS battery is tucked into the bottom of the palmrest,usually smack dab in the center.

Question Dell BIOS utility

Quote Originally Posted by Vip2
    I've got a Dell utility that will wipe that chip. I can e-mail it to you...
    I have a Dell Latitude CPI-A. Will your utility work on that? COuld you e-mail it to me?

[email protected]

Thanks!