Help disabling ProSavage onboard video

Thread: Help disabling ProSavage onboard video

Help disabling ProSavage onboard video

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

I have a EMachines T2200 with a AMD Athlon XP 2200 Processor and 512mb of Ram and (i think) a AMD MB L7Vmm2 motherboard. Windows XP OS.

I recently installed a GeForce 5700Le Graphics card and it worked fine for about 10 minutes of gameplay before the screen went black, forcing me to restart. This happened every time I tried to play a game but the computer otherwise works perfect. I'm thinking this might be because I haven't been able to figure out how to complete;y disable the ProSavage onboard video (i deleted the drivers)but I'm not sure what option is used to disable it in the BIOS.

Can someone help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by stmarksanarchy
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

I have a EMachines T2200 with a AMD Athlon XP 2200 Processor and 512mb of Ram and (i think) a AMD MB L7Vmm2 motherboard. Windows XP OS.

I recently installed a GeForce 5700Le Graphics card and it worked fine for about 10 minutes of gameplay before the screen went black, forcing me to restart. This happened every time I tried to play a game but the computer otherwise works perfect. I'm thinking this might be because I haven't been able to figure out how to complete;y disable the ProSavage onboard video (i deleted the drivers)but I'm not sure what option is used to disable it in the BIOS.

Can someone help me out?
    Disable On-board Video (WinXP)

There is no jumper on the motherboard for this, it is supposed to automatically detect a new card and look to it.

The process for disabling onboard video, (which is really just faking out windows.) goes as such. Before starting this process, go into BIOS and choose to load optimized defaults, then let it come up into windows and remove all display adapters regarding your new video card, this will temporarily involve taking out the new card.

1-Make sure that the new video card is out of the system, with your monitor on the built-in video.

2-Start the computer up, tapping the F8 repeatedly until you get to the windows advanced options menu. Choose the option for safe mode, press enter at the OS selection screen, and log in as the administrator.

3-Go to start->control panel. Then go into system, click on the hardware tab, then the device manager button.

4-Click on the + sign next to display adapters. Right-click on what pops out, and choose DISABLE. Close out, and shut down the computer so it turns off.

5-Insert your new video card, and hook up the monitor to it. Turn on the computer, and let it come up normally.

6-You can now install the drivers for the new card, and all of windows and your programs will not see the old card.

I just followed your advice to the letter and it still didn't help. The video card works but when I attempt to play a game after barely ten minutes the screen goes black and I have to restart. This is happening with both EverQuest and Sims 2 so I know it's not just the game. Do you have any other suggestions?

did you download the latest drivers? sounds like a driver problem...

Sounds like drivers but what is the cooling like in your system? Overheating?
    Good Luck!

I am having somewhat of a similiar problem. I can get the onboard video disabled but it will not free up the 32MB of RAM that it is taking up. I have tried uninstalling it but everytime the computer restarts it autodetects it and installs it again. All I want is my 32MB back. Any help is appreciated.

solution to your problem

hey stmarksanarchy,
    i had the exact same problem you are having and the problem is not your video card, it is in your power supply. It is not sufficient enough to provide power to your video card while gaming therefore causing your computer to restart, so when not gaming everything works perfectly. I had an L&C 450 watt which was pathetic, it is not the wattage that counts, but the quality of the power supply. I reccomend that you get a ThermalTake, Antec, or Sparkle between 450 and 600 watts, and this will fix your problem. What kind of Power supply do you have now?

Quote Originally Posted by t3nnisace
    hey stmarksanarchy,
    i had the exact same problem you are having and the problem is not your video card, it is in your power supply. It is not sufficient enough to provide power to your video card while gaming therefore causing your computer to restart, so when not gaming everything works perfectly. I had an L&C 450 watt which was pathetic, it is not the wattage that counts, but the quality of the power supply. I reccomend that you get a ThermalTake, Antec, or Sparkle between 450 and 600 watts, and this will fix your problem. What kind of Power supply do you have now?
    I actually have a 250 watt power supply which is utterly pathetic. I actually returned that card a long time ago because I couldn't get it to work but now I'm debating getting a 370w PSU (which was recommended to me by an IT person on the prosavage forum) and the same video card again so we'll see if it works.

what kind of psu is it. and by the way i have both of the same video cards u have, the prosavage onboard, and geforce 5700 le.

Quote Originally Posted by t3nnisace
    what kind of psu is it. and by the way i have both of the same video cards u have, the prosavage onboard, and geforce 5700 le.
    I HAD a 250watt PSU but now I've replaced it with a 370 watt PSU and everything is working perfectly fine for me

it is not the wattage that counts, but the quality of the power supply
    & glad you fixed it