CDROM must be open/closed twice before it's recognized

Thread: CDROM must be open/closed twice before it's recognized

Question CDROM must be open/closed twice before it's recognized

I'm using Win2K, and have seen a problem for a few months now. It's been very annoying!

When I want to use a CDROM (Sony DVD+/-R/RW, CDR/RW+/-whatever DRU-510A) for a game or to install software, I always have to put the tray in twice.

The drive appears in BIOS, and in Windows Explorer as well as the device manager, but with DMA disabled because it would keep my system from booting up.

When I click on it the first time in Windows Explorer, to explore it or run it (autorun is disabled), it says: "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function."

I've tried searching on the net for a solution, but it's hard to define cdrom +twice and have it come back with anything reasonable.

I'm using Nero for much of my CDROM related utilities, and InCD pops up in my task bar on the lower right as pre-loaded software. I had tried to run with virtual CDROM drives in the past so that I wouldn't have to keep whipping out my Halo CD to play online, as the kids always trash my CDROM's. (This didn't work, btw.)

But the CDROM worked fine when I had the virtual CDROM drive setup, so it's not tied to that (which is no longer installed anyway).

I don't know if it's tied to a prior Nero upgrade, but I'm in the process of upgrading today again. I have Intervideo WinCinema manager also popping up on my toolbar, but I think (am not sure) that I've had this installed and running long before my CDROM started this problem.

I probably have other DVD authoring software installed. I don't know how to tell if they're conflicting with this.

But this is VERY frustrating in having to put in a CDROM twice before it's recognized. I would sure love any additional help!

Thanks!

Zoomie

How well does the drive work in dos mode? Try this

Boot with a windows 98 cd, choose the option with cd rom support and check several cdroms from there.

At least this rule out the drive itself.
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

I went ahead an upgraded the Nero suite, but in all honesty didn't check it that well. But what I did do was happen to go by a Sony firmware drivers site and found a new version of the firmware and installed it.

This seems to have fixed my problem!

YAAAAAAAY!

Justin

P.S. I would have done the Win98 CDROM thing, but... I don't have a Win98 CDROM.

Thanks for the suggestion though!