Wireless internet problems

Thread: Wireless internet problems

Wireless internet problems

I have a wireless network set up at home with a Linksys Wag54g ADSL gateway, a PC connected to it with ethernet cable and a couple of laptops and an ipaq which connect wirelessly.
    The wireless network works well with all pc's apart from my Dell Latitude x300 Centrino laptop. This Centrino laptop will access a page on the internet but then cant access another one, or it might get the next page if I refresh. Then it wont be able to get any pages at all! It is slow too.
    I have dynamic IP addressing setup and have checked that the IP addresses are not the same. The wireless signal is strong and the connection is still active.
    The other non Centrino laptops work well and are quick, the IPAq too.

Is it a problem with the Intel mini pci card that is a part of the Centrino setup?

Welcome to Windrivers paulatt...
    Quote Originally Posted by paulatt
    Is it a problem with the Intel mini pci card that is a part of the Centrino setup?
    It is.
    I had the same problem with some Gateway 450 laptops. Go here and find the latest drivers for the card and make sure you let Intel and not Windows control your connection.

I have done this but have not noticed any improvement.
    The laptop connects to the internet however, after a short time it stops responding (cant find server error) and I have to repair the wireless connection. Its almost as if it is losing the IP address!
    Any more ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    Welcome to Windrivers paulatt...
    It is.
    I had the same problem with some Gateway 450 laptops. Go here and find the latest drivers for the card and make sure you let Intel and not Windows control your connection.

I have discovered that the problem is not IE.
    I have been wirelessly downloading a large file using ftp but it kept stopping every few minutes, however, the wireless connection is still strong and intact.
    A Repair did nothing so I had to disable and then enable the wireless card in order to resume the download several times.
    Any more ideas on this, please?

I'm stuck, I looked at this before & thought Shamus's answer was gonna fix you right up ..

So by way of 'useless advice' & a sly bump (to see if anyone else knows ?) I'll ask, have you done a hardware reset on the router ? & confirm please about any wireless security like wep & encryption & all of that..

No I have not done a hardware reset of Linksys ADSL gateway. How do I do this?
    I have not switched it off since I installed it last week.

I am using WEP 128bit encryption, MAC addresses and dchp to allocate IP addresses. I have checked that the IP addresses are different.

By the way, I connected this laptop to wireless network in work today and it didnt have any problems at all. So it appears to be something odd with my setup here at home. I followed the Linksys user guide and set up the recommended defaults, etc and havent used any special settings.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I'm stuck, I looked at this before & thought Shamus's answer was gonna fix you right up ..

So by way of 'useless advice' & a sly bump (to see if anyone else knows ?) I'll ask, have you done a hardware reset on the router ? & confirm please about any wireless security like wep & encryption & all of that..

Quote Originally Posted by paulatt
    No I have not done a hardware reset of Linksys ADSL gateway. How do I do this?
    I have not switched it off since I installed it last week..
    Me & my big mouth , I suppose I have to track you instructions ? - usually there's a little hole where you push in & hold in a paperclip (or whatever) for 10 seconds or so - I'm sure your mannuals will have details, but if you get stuck ..

Try that first, then if thats not working, simplify your problem by turning all the wep & whatnot off to start with & just get straight communication going, then add back each level of checking & I think you may find yourself 'good to go' (most especially as you say its all fine at work) .. here's hoping

If a win xp machine, try: open the properties for your wireless connection, click on "wireless networks" tab and uncheck "use windows to configure my wireless network settings" so that wireless properties are controlled by wireless card drivers, not xp
    "If life is a journey....Who's got the map?"

Im considering getting the Linksys Wag54g ADSL Gateway, is it any good?

I had a similar problem with my setup at home, using a Linksys wireless card. If you are using Windows to manage your wireless, check that 802.1x authentication is turned off for that particular network (Really, it should be off for all of them unless you are actually authenticating that way). Once I did that, it cleared the issue right up.

My laptop always had it off by defaut, HP zt3020, Centrino Model.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    My laptop always had it off by defaut, HP zt3020, Centrino Model.

It was on mine as well. I'm still not sure how it got turned on, but there ya go.