Access Denied WinXP

Thread: Access Denied WinXP

Access Denied WinXP

OK, only got time for the short-short story.... built a machine... problems... motherboard replaced... computer no longer boots into windows... I don't really care about that... but they have emails they have to keep but they passworded the stupid user profile (winxp) so when I attach the hard drive to another machine I get all sorts of "access denied" and "you can't change this" and "I'm Microsoft and I'm stupid and I won't let you do that because that would make your job sooooooo much easier for you!" error messages... Is there any way, or program, I could use to just clear all the passworded stuff in documents and settings so I could copy the outlook store folder (and the mydocs)?

I've gone into safe mode and tried messing around with security settings of the folder and all the inherit child properties and inherit grandparent's mother's dog's properties just plain confuses me... Any help?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Go here and use the floppy to change the Admin password. If you log in as an Admin in safe mode you oughta be able to tweak anything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    Go here and use the floppy to change the Admin password. If you log in as an Admin in safe mode you oughta be able to tweak anything you want.
    "when I attach the hard drive to another machine I get all sorts of "

I need to remove the passwords to gain access to the files from a totally seperate windows installation on a seperate hard drive... with the new motherboard the system the hard drive is from doesn't boot into windows anymore... I suppose a question I could ask is.... how can I get rid of all the devices in WinXP without actually logging into windows (Safe mode doesn't work either)
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

no other suggestions? These files are locked forever?

Well after randomly clicking on things for about 20 minutes it unlocked the files I needed.... stupid windows... :P

Glad you got the files. For future reference the Linux disk would still work on a slaved drive.It prompts for the Window directory, so you'd just type whatever drive letter corresponds. Worth the download.

Banned
    Have you taken ownership of the files? After taking ownership, you may then need to change permissions to add the local administrator of the new PC (or current user), but it should let you in following both changes.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    Glad you got the files. For future reference the Linux disk would still work on a slaved drive.It prompts for the Window directory, so you'd just type whatever drive letter corresponds. Worth the download.
    As I haven't checked out the link just yet, I was unaware... it made it sound like it was a way to change the admin password or remove it... I wasn't looking for that as the hard drive didn't boot properly anyways... and it wasn't the administrator logon I needed.... damn sharonb...

Quote Originally Posted by newguy
    Have you taken ownership of the files? After taking ownership, you may then need to change permissions to add the local administrator of the new PC (or current user), but it should let you in following both changes.

Could you explain this step by step... I think it's what I did but after clicking on buttons for 20 minutes I have no idea how I fixed it...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    Could you explain this step by step... I think it's what I did but after clicking on buttons for 20 minutes I have no idea how I fixed it...
    Under the security tab of the properties window of the folders you were trying to access, you would see an advanced button. There you would find an ownership tab, where you can take ownership as the administrator of the PC. Still, permissions may need to be reset if there was a massive restriction on the folder, but that’s just a matter of staying in the security tab after you take ownership under the advanced options; you select the appropriate user and apply necessary permissions. Also, forcing changes on child objects in the folder may sometimes be necessary as well, that can be found under the advanced option, there’s a check mark box for it.

If all that doesn't work, you are dealing with Encrypted File System, much harder to get around.

well I must have done that... nice to know how to do it... thanks!