Windows 98

Thread: Windows 98

Windows 98

Hi I have a Windows 98 machine. One of my techs didnt start up the machine before accepting it into the shop. Is there anyway to check the last bootup on a 98 machine?? Some sort of log file.

I can only imagine where this is going to go when cust contact is made.

Thanks

Banned
    What is wrong with the PC?

Quote Originally Posted by newguy
    What is wrong with the PC?
    No IDE devices are recognized.

I reset the bios and i am looking for a flash now.
    Last edited by tweaks; December 1st, 2004 at 10:23 AM.

Banned
    What was the PC brought in for? If it wasn't for this problem, which I presume it's not, you need to get on the phone with the owner right away and explain to them what has happened. That the PC Never booted, and displayed this error during the inspection boot, without doing any work to it. Then see what the customer wants to pay you to do. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, but it sounds like it’s the first time this has happened to you. You need to establish a boundary of responsibility with the customer or this will become a much bigger mess then fixing the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by newguy
    What was the PC brought in for? If it wasn't for this problem, which I presume it's not, you need to get on the phone with the owner right away and explain to them what has happened. That the PC Never booted, and displayed this error during the inspection boot, without doing any work to it. Then see what the customer wants to pay you to do. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, but it sounds like it’s the first time this has happened to you. You need to establish a boundary of responsibility with the customer or this will become a much bigger mess then fixing the PC.
    Absolutely. The fact that you are looking to flash the BIOS without talking to the customer first, makes me wary as to the level of your experience in the field of PC troubleshooting and repair. ALWAYS have a clear understanding of what a)The problem is with the machine, and b)What the customer is willing to do about it.

In these days of litigation oriented society, it is of utmost importance to insure that you are situated properly in this sort of circumstance.

I trust you have Liability Insurance.
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

It is not the first time it has happened to me. It is the first time it has happened to my tech.

I ended up calling the cust and he was aware of the No OS found.

After feeling him out that was inititally the problem. The service notes said that it was for a virus.

Problem solved .

Computer was canned. Not worth the effort or money to put into service.

Cust is satisfied.

Banned
    So who ever wrote up the ticket needs to be trained to take their job more seriously and get the exact issue and problem from the customer the first time! This sort of screwup can really mess up the normal operation of your shop! Glad that everything was sorted out well in the end, dispite the rough start.