no sound after re-format or no dial-up

Thread: no sound after re-format or no dial-up

no sound after re-format or no dial-up

hi
    i have a problem that is a combination of some other recent threads.
    after a re-format of a winxp machine, i had no sound (device manager big yellow question marks on 'other devices' video controller, sound controller, multimedia controller, vga video controller)....when the sound was restored - after lots of random fiddling and a re-install of xp......the option to install a dial-up internet connection was greyed out....it couldn't be made to happen. isp suggested another reformat. result, dial-up connection fine, no sound. to stop me going around in circles, tell me what to re-install and what order to do it in. i have downloaded everest and have at hand whatever info. is needed. for starters, it is a machine with an asus motherboard, an intel I/O hub (82801E ICH5), hence intel AC '97 controller etc, and a radeon 960 video adaptor and accelerator.
    anyone who is kind enough to reply, make it simple if you would.......

Welcome to windrivers anne. What is the specific asus model number? Your ati radeon driver is here: http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/w...=10&submit.y=9 For good measure, install the intel chipset drivers first http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...6&DwnldID=7948
    Will also need the make/model of your modem if you are still having problems w/ the dial up connection.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

thanks for your reply, hudsonsmith and merry xmas. i have installed the chipset. i was careless in transcribing the video driver - its ATI RADEON 9200 SE and it is not listed in the family supported by the download you pointed me too. sorry. is that download still the go?
    the motherboard is ASUS P4P800S SE...........

The drivers for ATI should work anne

thanks for that, TechZ. i am downloading the low speed option now. do i need all four downloads, or just the first one? merry xmas

You might be able to get away with just the first one, but its possible the second is needed as well. I don't think you need three or four.

Audio driver for your motherboard is here: http://www.asus.com/support/download...88.zip~zaqwedc
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    You might be able to get away with just the first one, but its possible the second is needed as well. I don't think you need three or four.

Audio driver for your motherboard is here: http://www.asus.com/support/download...88.zip~zaqwedc
    that is all absolutely right - so, many thanks.