Scandisk after bad shutdown

Thread: Scandisk after bad shutdown

Angry Scandisk after bad shutdown

we run a system where we block access to the c: drive for all users, after a bad shutdown and scandisk runs, they can press exit, they then get a message saying warning they may be errors if scandisk is not run properly, if you press ctrl and c at this point up pops the dos prompt, anyone any ideas on how to prevent this happening, perhaps removing the exit option from scandisk?

3fingersalute

I can tell you how to cancel scandisk altogether.

Open msconfig and in the advanced tab, there is an option to disable scandisk after bad shutdown.

But couldn't they just as easily boot to a command prompt or safe mode command prompt with the F8 or Ctrl key option on bootup??

boot keys are disabled in msdos.sys so f8 and the like don't work

Question

Ellwood,
    Are you by any chance using FullArmor protection as your security software? I had similar problems with it, and the only solution I found was to change to something else. (If not, don't matter!).
    Better not take a dog on the space shuttle, because if he sticks his head out when you're coming home his face might burn up.

we use lan ranger as our protection software

3fingersalute

What about disabling scandisk like I mentioned above?....will that help???

i guess diabling scandisk would work but do you not think not letting scandisk run could cause big problems.?

I'm always so bored when scandisk runs (only because I willingly stopped Win98 with the powerswitch) - I nearly never let this prog come to an end... never got a problem because of switching power off on NT4 or 9x... perhaps somewhen in the next centuries, but... would scandisk then really help me?...
    In my opinion it's only timeconsuming as long as you don't WANT to scan because of trouble.

3fingersalute

Originally posted by Ellwood:
    i guess diabling scandisk would work but do you not think not letting scandisk run could cause big problems.?
    It's not the best suggestion, just the best I could think of........but maybe you could run scandisk in windows every so often when the students aren't around????

Originally posted by Higg:
    I'm always so bored when scandisk runs (only because I willingly stopped Win98 with the powerswitch) - I nearly never let this prog come to an end... never got a problem because of switching power off on NT4 or 9x... perhaps somewhen in the next centuries, but... would scandisk then really help me?...
    In my opinion it's only timeconsuming as long as you don't WANT to scan because of trouble.
    That's like playing with fire, you could get burned.. We had a customer that used to just shut the computer off without properly shutting down. They ended up having to reload all their programs because the registry got so messed up. Of course with Win98, you can restore backups that are made 5 boots previously, but it still can cause problems. You end up with all sorts of cross-linked files.

My recommendation is to disable the shutdown option in all user profiles and creat a profile for the administrator that allows shutdown. Disable the scandisk after shutdown in all user profiles. Then change the power button to delay 4 secs. in BIOS.
    Sometimes the most difficult problems have the most obvious solutions - they just get overlooked.