USB 2.0 Device (iPod) only onnecting at 1.1 - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: USB 2.0 Device (iPod) only onnecting at 1.1

I think the answer lies in this When you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB 2.0 drivers do not appear to update

I've had this issue seperately not connected with ipods & it cures it every time, whether it will with ipods only an owner of one can confirm ! ..

I installed the drivers recommended by Satman for my iPod and it seemed to actually work. All along I was only able to get it to connect at standard speed.

As other posters have mentioned, I had 4 controllers, 3 standard USB with 2 ports each, and 1 enhanced with 6 ports. Weird. I am using an Asus P4B533-E. I had tried everything. Asus is terrible for help. I even added SP2. All along I could sort of get the device to recognize on one of the enhanced ports, but it would fail to be recognized. I downloaded an app called UnknownDeviceIdentifier that was able to recognize it was a USB Mass Storage Device, but I would constantly get an enumeration failure.

To top it off, it would occasionally revert back to on of the standard USB ports and disappear from the enhanced controller.

After doing what Satman said, I tested the speed, and BAM it is smoking. 300 megs done in seconds. However, dare I try anything larger than that, and I am doomed.

I tried a 2.5 gig video file and for the first 2/5 of the file it takes 1 minute, then it grinds down to a crawl and says it will take 48 minutes to finish the job. Again, weird.

Any ideas where to go from here? Or whys and wherefores? (Thanks Satman BTW)

I had a usb hub hooked up to one of my six usb ports and I kept getting the same message to use another high speed usb port. So I hooked up all my devices to my MB ports and got rid of the USB hub which was a USB 2.0 D-Link. I don't think the driver in it was a usb 2.0 because I hooked up a pci usb 2.0 card and the driver was not already on the cd drivers. I had to download it from the manufactures website. Now I've got too many USB's and I've lost some MB usb ports.

That is really interesting becasue I am having the same EXACT problem that all of you are having and it doesn't seem to have any resolution. I too have that same D-Link USB 2.0 Hub plugged in and I used it for a good 5 months before getting the USB 2.0 errors. Now it doesn't matter whether I remove the USB hub or not I cannot get any USB 2.0 Devices to connect at 2.0 speeds. I even reformated my computer and still nothing... any ideas?

doesn't anyone have any other ideas? I'm so tired of using my damn 200GB External Drive at USB 1.1 speeds...

T40 with Ipod mini - same problem

Hi all,
    I am experiencing the EXACT same problem with my T40, using it with an Ipod Mini. Initially it recongized the ipod OK, but went to USB1.1 speed. Then inexplicably, it would no longer recognize the Ipod and would not charge it. I tried everything - updating the bios, downloading latest Intel chipset support, explicitly deleting & replacing USB drivers, and at one stage I thought it was something the Ipod installed and even editing the registry removing any reference to Ipod. I unistalled & reinstalled ipod software several times, including updates. I also verified it was not the ipod at fault as it synced with my desktop PC's USB2.0 hub without incident.

I found a 'fix' (though not elegant) that may get to the root of the problem. I find that if I DISABLE the Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 enhanced controller in Windows Device manager, my ipod again syncs, albeit only at 1.1 speeds. But it charges again (whereas with that driver active it did not), and is recognized whereas previously it did not.

I suspect that the USB2.0 hardware is perhaps at fault (and it is switched off by disabling this driver), or the driver is faulty. Am going to set about finding a solution. If the driver is at fault, I have no idea where to find a better one as this is the one released with WinXP SP2. (Microsoft driver version 5.1.2600.0 dated 6/1/2002).

same problem - T40

I have an IBM Thinkpad T40 running Windows XP SP2. The problem showed up for me some time in January. Since it happened, I have completely restored my system to factory defaults (due to another problem with STOP errors halting my system that eventually devolved to a state of halting on boot-up). The USB problem still remains and occurs with both my Creative Zen Micro mp3 player and Sony Cybershot DSC-W1 camera. I have also tried connecting these devices with 4 different cables, of which I know at least 2 are rated for hi-speed usb.

I have also tried upgrading my usb drivers with the Intel INFINST tool mentioned earlier in this thread, also to no avail. I am wondering what kind of successes people had with getting their system boards replaced. Also, did IBM acknowledge for any of you that this is a known problem, or did they just replace the board as a last-ditch effort? I purchased my laptop about 2 years ago, so I don't know if it is still under warranty, but hopefully they'll replace it if that is the problem.

I (as well as everyone else here, I'd imagine) would greatly appreciate any feedback people can offer on what did/did not work for them.

Thank you

Getting my system board replaced on Friday for my T40 with my IT dept. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by domhnall
    I installed the drivers recommended by Satman for my iPod and it seemed to actually work. All along I was only able to get it to connect at standard speed.
    I have a T40 as well w/ WinXP SP2 and the Intel drivers don't work. I tried Satman's suggestions but everything is still connecting at 1.1, sigh.

Finally Fixed!!!

So, after getting my system board replaced the problem went away right away. I didn't have to mess with drivers or anything. This is apparently a known IBM problem and it is when dust gets on the system board and allows a circuit to form between to resistors on the board. Call IBM and get them to replace your board, this is the ONLY fix for this problem.

Update

Quote Originally Posted by shmookles
    So, after getting my system board replaced the problem went away right away. I didn't have to mess with drivers or anything. This is apparently a known IBM problem and it is when dust gets on the system board and allows a circuit to form between to resistors on the board. Call IBM and get them to replace your board, this is the ONLY fix for this problem.
    After a system board replacement, I have been connecting at 2.0 for quite a while now. IBM came out and replaced the board no problem, technician was very nice, and everything is fine. I suspect that other people having the same problem will not be able to resolve it with driver and software patches, unfortunately. I had a thick layer of dust on my system board, by the way.

Thumbs up This is an IBM system board problem, not a driver problem

Quote Originally Posted by shmookles
    Thank you everyone, particularly Shmookles, for saving me a lot of wasted time and energy (and grief!). I spoke with IBM and gave them the information from this forum. They sent me a replacement system board and an experienced tech came out to replace it. The problem was solved immediately, just as Shmookles experienced. You can try to change drivers and other settings for as long as you want, but it will not fix the problem. the only solution is to replace the system board. Save yourself a lot of wasted effort and make the call. You won't regret it.

my pleasure

T40 USB2.0 Problem, in Summary its a hardware fault

Thanks eveyone, some people put in a lot of work here
    1) pleased I'm not totally mad, had already tried most of the solutions here,
    2) Gutted its a hardware problem, looks like Its going to take a while to sync my Ipod from now on :-(

Wingnut

Welcome to Windrivers Wingnut...

Your warranty expired? If this is a known problem, maybe they will be able to help?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."