Need your opinion about getting a CD-RW

Thread: Need your opinion about getting a CD-RW

Post Need your opinion about getting a CD-RW

I'm considering of buying an IDE CD-Rewriter.
    I've tested Ricoh 7040, HP 8100, Philips 300 and 400 series, at work. In my opinion HP is the best.
    My opinion, though, is not enough for me.
    I'm thinking to buy a HP CD-RW 8210i IDE.
    Have you tested it? What's your opinion?

Thank you all guys in advance.

------------------
    When a good one meets some of the best...
    I've died and gone to heaven!

The wandering Odysseus of the web.

The HP is nice but go SCSI using SCSIs, unlike IDEs, I've never burnt a coaster yet.

gads12

Talking

I have HP 8100 IDE and it's not that great I when I try to copying at 4x it allways fails I lose the buffer which is only 1 meg, If I had to choose a new CD/RW I would look for one with a larger buffer of between 2 to 4 megs.
    Also on the 8100 IDE when you try to copy or backup data with 3 or more deep sub directorys it seems it will lose it's buffer also at 2x, so anything large I have to burn at 1x. Just an FYI for ya

------------------
    Glenn

Cool

Get the Ricoh. It lets you do text on audio cds (artist name, song name, etc.).
    Also it lets you overburn. (80min on a cd, or about 700MB)

And get a good burning software like Nero
    (www.ahead.de)

Make bootable cds with 1 click, burn mp3's to audio cd, and vis-versa. Real easy.
    ---
    Jon Hutto

There is a site;http//www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/
    where you can find more than you care to know about CDR drives, etc. Check it out. I, personally, use a Memorex CDR 1622. A little slow, but it was very low cost and does a great job so I don't mind a little waiting.
    If you have multiple machines, a parallel unit would be handy, if a little slow.
    Your choice will probably be dictated mostly by what you are going to use the recorder for, and how much you can afford to spend.

Mr gads12: You are probably suffering from buffer underrun, which means that the recorder is not getting the data fast enough to support the selected recording speed. In other words, you are not filling the buffer space that you already have. This will cause problems for any brand CDR. CDR drives require considerable system resources. Some helpful things you can do are: Shut down any unnecessary TSRs such as Fast Find, screen savers,etc. These can hog a lot of system resources and will slow things down. I also created a directory (folder) to use for temporary files for recording only and designated this for use instead of the Win\Temp. This also helps speed things up. Check out the site above for lots of help.

Rotsa Ruck G'man

[This message has been edited by Grafman (edited September 24, 1999).]
    Are we havin' fun yet?

radio89

i have the phillips ricoh scsi i have had no problem what so ever. then i tried the easy cd i didnt like it at all lots of coasters and flying saucers my kids loved they liked the shiney flying disk they are all over the backyard.
    know im using the yamahaw 4x4x20 smoking scsi
    not one coaster

Thumbs up

If price is of no concern then scsi is the way to go,otherwise I recomend Creative's 6424, very low price and excellent performance, have not burnt a bad one yet. Comes with nero, great software.
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." --Albert Einstein

I have the HP 8200i. It works great. Just make sure you image anything you want to write to the harddrive first and you will never make a coaster (unless you have bad media to begin with). For a 642 mb re-write it took me 15 min at 4X.

[This message has been edited by Damned Angel (edited October 01, 1999).]

Talking sony? anyone??

bought a sony on a whim at best buy a few years ago (close out specials for 40 bucks!!)...still burnin...haven't had any problems yet..the software that came with it was very simple and easy to use....but can't remember what it is...

Chicken Arise! Arise chicken, arise!

i've always liked mitsumi but have also had good luck with liteon.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

I use nothing but LiteOn and LG and have had excellent sucess with their cdrw's and dvdrw's
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fair64
    If price is of no concern then scsi is the way to go,otherwise I recomend Creative's 6424, very low price and excellent performance, have not burnt a bad one yet. Comes with nero, great software.
    Creative makes great door stops, always avoid them

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bdunn
    The HP is nice but go SCSI using SCSIs, unlike IDEs, I've never burnt a coaster yet.
    Sony's, Samsung, Liteon, never had a problem burning coasters yet. SCSI IMHO gone way to expensive. I'd take the chance on burning coasters.

use to sell mostly liteon but started to get lots of doa or after noly a few months,too mane rma`w for my taste but will see for a while before i change brand,because i get good service and i may be just a bad batch