SATA drive partioning and formatting - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SATA drive partioning and formatting

Just got another error page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area Classpnp.sys F799331F. Are all these problem caused by memory-memory setting?? My memory is 2pcs 512 OCZ2400102 ELDC-K I got to do a lot of googling and checking on this memory I have 4 fans in this system 80 mm blow hole on top, 120 MM blowing in ,80 blowing in side window and 80 mm blowing ou front, system tmp inside is showing 90 deg. F

try to get...

.... other drivers.
    Let me explain:
    Your motherboard for sure has two raid controlers: one from promise and an other from via, am i right?
    If I'm not, forguet this post
    If I am right, just get another version for your raid driver (the one you put in diskket A: wen you press F6 during instalation.
    If you had not this errors prior to the use of raid disks, for sure the memory problems are the result of a bad raid driver.

Hope this has helped

Greetings from the country of Sun

Thank you Peterpan and everone! Right now I am lowlevel formatting the Hitach Drive w/ Drive fittnes test.I changed my memory settings to cas 2 and it may be working better I broke it down to the SATA drive and one dvd drive on IDE 1 and I will tgry my windows install again

Question

YAHYAAAAA I ran memtest 1.3 and found 1000,errors trying to go to support got to deside if its setting or bad memory going to try 1 512 stick and then the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by tracker34
    HELP!! I just built Abit AV8 W AMD 3500 ,1GB otz ram. cdr & dvdrw w/ new xp pro sp2+ 256 mg Chaintech , Hatihici 120mb SATA hard drive I pressed f6 and installed the RAID drivers wen windows installer get to the window where you chose drive and pratition to install to their is no drive shown and the you get a STOP error. I need a utility to format and pratiton SATA hard disk tried win98 boot disk but don't think it worked. Thanks in advance.
    You certainly cannot do it wit a Win 98 disk. I have twin 120GB Seagate SATA disks conigured as a single Silicon Raid. To set up the raid I enable the SATA controller in the motherboad (Gigabyte who supllied the drivers but later are available from Windows Update. Configured the bios so that the boot priority is CD ROM , Hard Disk0. In the advanced bios optons set controler priority to Silicon Image second IDE which contrls DCD and CD removable drives..

To install the Raid I boot the PC with the Windows XP SP2 CD in the boot DVD\CD drive.

I see the controller look for the Raid and set it up empty, the bios continues and when I see "Hit any key to boot from CD" I hit the space bar and hold my finger over F6 to hit when message flashes up to load any special controller drivers (be quick about this), Then if it is a clean install I see the Silicon SATA driver loaded
    choose the type of RAID i.e. one single not mirror and go on to the usual Windows XP Pro clean Installation.

This line of installation could work for you. I think it should work OK for you even though as I read your message you are not creating a raid but just using a SATA disk so provided you have NOT hung another device on to the Raid controler[which would foul every thing up] I would expect the sytem to skip the step of creating a Raid and just bring you to the installation stage . Have you tried doing the install without the F6 step? Once you get to the point where Windows asks if you want todo a clean install you can ask it to format the whole disk, install Windows and do your partitions later if you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Butler
    You certainly cannot do it wit a Win 98 disk...
    Welcome to WD forums John .. & it seems appropriate for me to welcome you as I think you've gotten confus-ed over why a 98 disk was being talked about

He was wanting to boot from it & then use Fdisk to remove 'non dos' partitions & start all over again, which tracker34 might well have done, if he'd realised he needed to change his boot order in bios first

Its very nice though to see new members 'straight in there' & helping

Confus-ed was exactly right I took the bad memory stick out and XP loaded with out a hitch, loaded my wifes printer which took about 1 hour on her 1GDHZ. machine in 11 minutes. The machine is dead in the water now as the memory was matched and I RMA both sticks per vendor instructions. I want to thank everyone for helping me with these problems. ..Don

THANY YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by tracker34
    THANY YOU!
    'We' like thank you's very much indeed .. it gives us that 'warm fuzzy' feeling knowing our hours in cyberspace are actually doing some good & stopping folks having those ('bang head') moments, that happen to even the smartest of us from time to time ...

So I'm sure you are most welcome & I hope you can fix up your machine real soon .

Smile Sata Drive Partitioning & Formatting

Thanks very much for your welcome.
    With regard to the problem that started this thread. I certainly had not understood why tracker was using a Windows 98 disk when he had a valid XP CD. I still do not see why tracker was trying to create a RAID when he had only one hard disk?
    Now I see the problem was caused by a faulty memory stick in a brand new computer. Does this suggest that we have become to confident about RAM quality, much of it has no error checking capability? Afew years ago it was about the first thing to check if a new PC failed to start.

BTW
    AS to SATA RAID I became discouraged by its fragility and reconfigured my two 120GB SATA as Disk O=C:\ and Disk 1+D:\. I boot from Disk O and schedule an exact copy backup every night using CasperXP. I have boot.ini scripted like this

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional Master" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Safe Mode" /fastdetect/safeboot:minimal/sos/bootlog
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional Slave" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Safe Mode" /fastdetect/safeboot:minimal/sos/bootlog

So I can normally boot into either Disk but if disk 0 fails physically I can switch the boot order in the bios to use disk 1. This gives a reliable systme compaired to the striped RAID and I cannot "see" any difference in performance. For disaster recovery purposes I use Acronis to Image to an external hard disk nightly

[QUOTE=confus-ed]Welcome to WD forums John
    Its very nice though to see new members 'straight in there' & helping
    Last edited by John Butler; March 20th, 2005 at 06:05 AM.